How To Make Cardboard Lantern

Today I will show you how to make a lantern out of cardboard, which is perfect for photo shoots or decorating the interior.

The size of a large lantern with a handle is 29*12 cm, a small one is 24*9 cm

I always have a lot of scraps of cardboard from projects, now it's time to find a use for them.

We will need:

• cutting mat;
  • metal ruler;
  • pencil;
  • office knife;
  • glue gun;
  • "Moment Crystal" glue;
  • acrylic paint, white and brown;
  • brush, palette knife;
  • self-hardening clay;
  • split ring for albums;
  • sandpaper;
  • binding cardboard 1.5 mm and 0.7 mm;
  • craquelure paste;
  • awnings, lock, brads.

We take binding cardboard with a thickness of 1.5 mm, for the dome I used a thickness of 0.7 mm to better bend.

Cut out the framework for the base of the lantern, strengthen it with strips and make an imitation of wooden ones, then make a door.

I made this lantern without connecting strips, glued it with a glue gun, but if you liked the assembly of the first lantern more, then do it with connecting strips.

After assembling the base of the lantern, we will walk with sandpaper so that the bottom is tightly glued and the lantern does not turn out to be a curve.

The bottom of the dome is made of three layers of beer cardboard (you can use a binding, as I already said, I make a lantern from scraps). In the assembly process, all the irregularities are removed with sandpaper.

The handle is made of self-hardening clay and put craquelure paste on the lantern. After a day (look at the time of solidification), align the surface of the handle with sandpaper or do not align, if you are friends with clay), insert the split ring into the handle.

Cover our lantern with acrylic paint, paint carefully, painting all hard-to-reach places. We also paint everything inside. When the paint dried, I went through a dry sponge with brown paint, just to highlight the texture and cracks. Inside the lantern, you only need to put artificial candles, real ones are not allowed!!

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial :)

I wish everyone a wonderful mood and a lot of inspiration!

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them in the comments)