Sew Moose Brooch

Let's try to sew a fairly simple brooch in the form of a moose. Moose is not only a symbol of Canada, they are strong, swim well, hop from apples in the fall and lick the salt :)

We will sew at once on two similar patterns, the size of my mooses is 4 cm. Patterns are also drawn by me.

So let's get started.

We will need the following materials:

• Fabric for body and horns: plush and cotton.
  • Knitwear for sweaters and scarves.
  • Beads for eyes.
  • Polymer clay for the horns.
  • Acrylic and oil paints for tinting.(you can pastel or pencils).
  • Brooch attachment.
  • The hollowfiber or polyester batting for padding.
  • Also: scissors, thread, needle, pattern paper, brush, skewer for turning

The pattern can be reduced or increased to the size you need, printed or copied from the monitor. Moose will be one of plush with clay horns, and the second one of cotton with plush horns.

1. Cut out the pattern. Keep in mind that when turning the size of the brooch will slightly decrease. We fold our fabric pieces for the body with front sides turned to each other. Let's start with a cotton moose. Cut cotton along the warp thread (along the warp thread fabric does not stretch). We apply the patterns of all the details and draw with a soft pencil. Pay attention to the ears, they are tiny and we will not turn them out.

2. Sew on the machine or with hands. Pay attention to the holes for turning, I sew them in such a way that the edge then gently tucked inside and it is easier and neater to sew it with a secret seam.

3. Cut out at a distance of 0.3-0.5 cm from the edge with zigzag scissors or small scissors. If there are no zigzag scissors, then all the places of fillets are cut not reaching the edge, it is near the neck and between the legs, in order to avoid contractions in these places.

4. With a wooden skewer turn out the details.

5. An opening for stuffing at the top.

6. Put the filler inside. First in the legs in small pieces. Then the whole body is quite tight, without voids.

7. The lugs only need to cut with scissors, not to turn out, slightly broke the edges and I applied PVA glue. This is so that the edges do not bloom and the ear itself, when dry, kept the shape.

8. Sew up the hole for turning and sew on the ears, as shown in the photo below.

9. Sew through, highlighting the muzzle, as shown in the photo below.

10. Horns for cotton moose are sewn from plush. Cut and sew in the same way as the body. Cut out, turn out, fill loosely and sew on the head.

11. Put aside the cotton moose and make polymer clay horns for a plush one. If there is no clay, you can sew textile horns. And if you sew them from fabric in polka dots or a flower, I think it will turn out very funny and cute. I made the horns out of flesh-colored clay, and when they were baked they turned into light brown. Clay is previously kneaded, blinded in "sausage", divided from the edge into five segments stack and formed the "branches" of horns. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the modeling process. The middle of the horns was pierced with a thick needle, so that there was a hole for sewing. Horns can also be glued, then pierce is not necessary. Bake horns for 10 minutes at a temperature of 110 degrees in the oven on foil.

12. Proceed to the plush moose. The pattern features a separate head from body. Sew moose exactly the same as the cotton one, but plush fabric laid pile down. We trace, sew, cut out details and turn out with the help of skewers.

13. Fill the parts with filler using skewers.

14. Sew up the holes for stuffing with a secret seam and sew the head to the body, as shown in the photo below.

15.Sew on the ears, they are exactly the same as the cotton moose.

16. Sew the horns of polymer clay.

17. It's time to dress our moose. To do this, cut out strips of Jersey width of 1.5-2 cm and sew, as shown in the photo below. Please note, the fabric is superimposed on the back of the lap.

18. Sew in through the neck. The edge can not tuck, as the top will be a scarf.

19. Next, form the handle, stitching through in the area of the sleeve, as in the photo below.

20. In the same way we sew a sweater for a plush moose. Also sew on his eyes of beads or beads.

21. On the forehead of the cotton moose embroider stitches "bangs" :)

22. For tinting in advance squeeze out oil paints of brown shades on a napkin that oil was absorbed. Tinted can also be pastel. With acrylic paints I draw black eyes-points to a cotton moose, and also brown eyebrows and nostrils. A hair dryer or using a damp cloth and iron to fix the paint.

23. Pink pastel (can be pencil) draws cheeks rosy. And I cut strips of knitwear about 10 cm in length for future scarves.

24. We wind the scarves several times and tie them on the side, cut off the excess. I love polka dots, so I painted "peas"on scarves with acrylic paint and a thin brush. Next, proceed to tinting. You can do without it, but I like "oldness." So I brush pass on horns, hooves, edges of ears, nostrils and slightly on clothes.

25. Remained deal for small, sew on fastening for brooches. The knots are all hidden under a sweater. I sew into the hole, as shown in the photo. This place can be covered with felt, cloth (on the Internet a lot of workshops on this method).

I just gently and firmly sew the mount to the back.

All, our moose are ready! They are cute and seem to ask for a cozy place on a hat, handbag or coat, or even funny looking out of the pocket :)

Mooses are my weakness:) I Hope this tutorial will be useful to you and inspire the creation of such cozy brooches. Many thanks for your attention and creative success!

Sincerely, Alena