How To Save Your Favorite Sweater If It Stretched Or Shrinked

Caring for wool or wool blend things is not always easy. Sometimes, you get a cozy sweater (especially a custom-made, especially made of cashmere or angora), but how to maintain it fresh and pleasant for a long time?

And now: a lifehack.

Steam!

It's just a magical thing for wool! The thread is straightened, loops are aligned and compacted, cloth takes shape and holds it until the next washing.

However, if you use the steam incorrectly, you can ruin everything irreparably, so I describe everything in great detail.

Tooling:

- iron with the "wool" mode, steam supply and steam boost function (a special button on the iron, which gives a short-term sharp supply of steam).

- large ironing board.

- large flat surface, such as a double bed.

Preparation:

1. Look at the composition on a label: wool or wool mixture. In this case, wool mixture is everything that is not 100% wool, no matter what impurities.
  2. Preparing a place. If the thing is large (sweater, dress, skirt), then steam treatment is recommended on a large flat surface, like your bed. Usually I put a thick terry towel, folded in half and already on it – the thing itself, after turning it inside out. Straighten to avoid creases (I check the length of the product and sleeves with a ruler, if the thing shrinked after washing – then we can easily add 2-3 cm). If the product is small (a scarf, stole) – you can use an ironing board.
  3. Iron. Put on the "wool" mode, wait until heated.
  4. Process. Take the iron, tilt the sole down and wait until the steam starts to go, and then begin to drive it OVER the canvas at a distance of 4-5 cm for wool and 2-3 cm for wool mixture, periodically pressing the steam boost. Thus treat the entire thing. But! If the stuff is elastic (usually the bottom, sleeve cuffs and neck) — do not steam the ribbing! Simply ignore it. Processing is sufficient if the thing is heated and slightly moistened (feel with your hand). While warm, correct what you need: length, width can be increased by a couple of inches just stretching and once again treated with steam. Leave to cool. Do not touch until it cools down! It is important to remember – as long as your favorite sweater or stole is hot and wet, you can give it a shape that it will "remember". If you accidentally pull the wrong place or just poke your finger... well, you know. We turn it out only after it cooled down. On the front side carefully steam the seams.

How to fix a stretched thing. If after washing your favorite sweater has become longer by 2-3 cm, it is also manageable. I have experience when I got rid of 5 cm of excess length using steam. Lay the thing out on a flat surface, measure. I usually take the pins and fix the product and the length that I need (keep in mind — the colored heads of pins can shed on the canvas, do not forget to turn it inside out). Straighten the thing so that the extra part of it is evenly distributed between the pins (can remain bumps, do not worry). Steam again. And then pat with hands so that the bumps disappeared. Steam a little more and dry. However, this method is not a panacea, if there is a lot of acrylic! In case with wool it works well.

Nuances.

Patterns.

- Braids. It all depends on the braids themselves. Usually I just keep the iron above (5-6) cm and constantly hit the steam.

- Openworks. Openwork cloth is looser than usual, you need to be especially careful not to pull.

- Ribbing. Not steamed at all.

Material.

If we talk about things from other fibers: viscose, cotton, bamboo, in principle, the recommendations are the same, just set an appropriate ironing mode. In the case of cotton, the iron can be kept closer to the canvas, sometimes even lowered onto the canvas, but not driven back and forth, but simply "patted". Pure acrylic is not steamed, ever!

And let your favorite things please you for a long time!

Sincerely, Nadezhda.