Azov Standoff in 1641: Present Time

Azov Standoof ended with victory of the Cossacks!

The 15th jubilee festival of military-historical clubs "Azov Standoff in 1641" was held! I was lucky. I've seen almost all 15! I also watched how such a grand event was born from a small festival, organized by enthusiasts. Now people from all over the country and even foreigners come to see it.

This time under a roar of a cannonade and blue sky of Azov on walls of the Azov Fortress the battle began. Reenactors recreate events that lasted about three months in half an hour. There are battles with swords, flying arrows, rattling canons, and something explodes all the time. Though I have been here many times, I cannot get used to it. Every time is like the first time! Everything looks spectacular.

The day before, you could see the camp of Cossacks to learn more about life and traditions of defenders of the southern borders of Russia. It's amazing to look at people who are interested in history so seriously. In their free time (there are doctors, bankers, and mothers with small children among them), they make costumes, weapons, and all this is as authentic as possible. They enjoy the process and it is obvious. I even know many of them!

Every time I watch the faces of these people with pleasure.

The festival is not only about standoff, several days host a lot of interactive activities for dwellers and guests of the city. It is interesting everywhere! Animation platforms, workshops, exhibitions-fairs with souvenirs, evening shows and fireworks.

For the first time, the festival held a theatrical show "The First Beauty of Azaka." I was invited to evaluate this competition as one of the members of the jury, which was very honourable and exciting for me. The competition surprised and even amazed me. Young participants were simply mind-blowing during their theatrical sketches, poetry reading and dancing. I was delighted with their performances. You cannot see such an emotional performance often even in a theatre.

Well, in the end, already relaxed, we walked through the park to see "Azak on the Great Silk Road".

Have you ever visited an event like that, if so, where was it?