What Jute to Choose for Knitting?
  • Category: Materials and tools
  • Practices: Crocheting

I often get a question: What jute is better for knitting? The answer to this question is ambiguous. What jute do I choose?

It depends on what I'm going to make. If I want a product to have nice clear shape, jute should be 1670 - 1870 tex dense. Tex is a unit of measurement for thread density. It shows how many grams are in 1000 meters of yarn. You can knit in one thread from such jute. If it is less dense, then to get a good rigid shape, you should knit in two threads. Baskets may have a more rigid form than bags, so you can knit from the thickest twine in two or three threads.

Knitting is of great importance, which laps to use. With some knitting techniques, regardless of thread density, fabric will still be loose. These fabrics are suitable for things that should be soft.

Steaming can make jute softer. However, washing is not very good for such things. They become creased, untidy, pink, and a pattern gets unclear.

I do not like things of fuzzy forms, or creasing effect. Of course, creases can be ornate, but it makes knitted things sloppy and as if of poor quality. If there are any creases, they should be thought out and be a part of composition. Therefore, before steaming or washing, I think about the effect I will get not to spoil my work. Even the way of washing matters — temperature, hand or machine wash. Wet jute, by the way, becomes very hard, you can not squeeze or twist it like other fabrics. It dries several days after washing, depending on temperature and humidity. Even when washing, jute can be slightly loose. If a product has white elements, it will have brown stains.

Fortunately, jute is a material that does not get dirty. No matter how old your bag is, jute is always smooth, no pills and puffs, stains, and scuffs.

After many years of my work with this material, I can say that the most important is not only what jute to choose, but also what to do with it, what "procedures". You can make a wonderful thing from any jute, the main thing is to take its properties into account.

We can say only one thing, it is better to choose smooth and clean jute!

Good luck!!!