Tie the Knot: Interesting Rope Ideas

To continue home decor topic, I want to share ideas of creating interesting things from an ordinary rope, twine or light polymer cord-paracord. By the way, paracord was originally used only for parachute slings production, but today it is used for many other purposes, including needlework, you can make a bunch of stuff from it, ranging from jewellery and ending with various elements of home decor.

I want to start with my favorite decorative cushions. Take a blue pillow, add a rope to it, making knots (as you want), a little of your time, and a decorative cushion in marine style is ready!

Thick rope in stairs decoration looks really unusual.

In the next photo, rope turns the room into a real deck.

Using a thick tail-rope or rope, you can create a very exclusive thing! How do you like this table?

What about a photo frame or a mirror?

Flower pots are simply irresistible. But this, in my opinion, is eco style. These pots will look good in a country house.

You can make napkins and trivets from a polymer rope, they complement marine style.

I found this technique on the Internet.

Using a similar technique, you can weave a mat.

I want to dwell on this in details.

Before you start, practice weaving by making a miniature version of a rug from a thinner rope. When you are ready to make a large mat, cover a large work surface with craft paper. Draw a cross on paper. This is mat size, it is better to use a rope or cord 1/2 inches thick, except the cord, you will also need materials: paper (cardboard), pencil, sewing needle and thread, portable lighter, universal glue.

To complete the work you need a needle, you need to sew the ends of the cord just below any remaining ends and tightly wrap the thread around the rope a couple of times. Sew a few more times to secure. Cut the end of the rope just above the thread. Fix the ends with a lighter; sew to the back side. Apply glue to the bottom of the mat to prevent slippage.

The next knitting knots technique has an unusual name "monkey fist."

In a few minutes (or even seconds), you can create unusual decor items.

Human imagination knows no bounds.

Cord-paracord plus skilful hands and you have a squad of soldiers.

Or Christmas decorations.

Or a handsome spider.

Celtic knots, that is how weaving and knitting knots technique is often called, are used to create different jewellery.

The necklace is just adorable!