Ideas Factory: First Impressions

About a year ago my husband lamented that we did not have workshops where you could work with 3D electronics and different machines independently. You might find joinery and textile workshops, but there was no space to "communicate" with 3D-printing and engraving-milling machines freely, and it seemed an unattainable luxury. Finally, it happened! Seeing advertising on Livemaster and being amazed at the set of available equipment, I couldn't wait to look at everything. Well, I am happy to share my impressions with you now…

How to Find

Actually, it is not difficult to find — follow Moscow Central Circle to ZIL station, then you will see a brand new Leroy Merlin building among new houses, enter from the right side — Ideas Factory premises are there.

I would also like to note that staff of the Factory are very friendly and welcoming, they are ready to answer all questions of "annoying" customers professionally.

Check In

The most important thing is to be sure to check in on the website in advance before coming and book all the necessary equipment, even if everything is free. I decided not to check in beforehand, but it wasn't right — we had to check in any way as it might happen so, that a machine you need can be booked. When we first came, there was no one, and after an hour at the check in desk a small queue appeared. They were curious visitors of Leroy Merlin.

Another point — do not take your children, even if you are going to work with a printer. They are not allowed, even if you write an acknowledgement (which is right). So, my daughter had to watch cartoons on the couch at the desk for an hour. There you can also do puzzles and play chess :)

For now, the Factory is deserted, but I am sure that by September, there will be a lot more visitors.

Immediately after the desk, there is a small locker room.

There is a space for metal works with "grinders", welding tables, turning equipment; a separate workshop for wood work with all kinds of manual and electronic tools, a room with a huge industrial CNC milling machine; a space with computers and large monitors for designers and photographers, a meeting room...

"3D and Electronics" Space

We can say that this is paradise for a subject designer — there is everything for prototyping and testing models: a dozen high-quality multifunctional 3D Ultimaker printers, 3D printer for printing highly detailed models (this is interesting for jewellers and advanced physicians), vacuum moulding machine, a full set of equipment for 3D scanning, three LaserPro laser engraving machines (one for cylindrical objects — you can make engraving on glasses).

Safety measures at the Factory are great. If necessary, you can use gloves and goggles. There are no harmful gases from laser machine at all due to smoke removal and ventilation, everything is organized as it should be.

I will not unload technical aspects of working with GCC LaserPro Spirit GLS100 on you, I will only say that everything works perfect, as I actually expected. I just spent some time to clean up my files for a controller of this machine. So, it is better to be more attentive about your working drawings not to waste precious time on corrections.

Favorite activity — "meditation with laser", I'm sure, my look makes engraving better and more accurate :) Who plans to work with this machine, I am ready to answer all questions separately.

"Textiles" Space

After engraving experiments, I wandered about other "spaces" — I was impressed by textile equipment in particular — hemming machine, knitting and embroidery machines, professional steamers. In general, it seems to me, it is a perfect option for those who like to work with textiles from time to time (like me, once every six months I want to sew something) or for those who think about buying professional equipment.

Printers

Perhaps, next time I will come to the Factory to study this equipment — I got interested in Roland UV printer for wood and plastic, and printers for fabric.

Naturally, this is just a small part of what the Factory has. I think I will return there more than once to try everything and, perhaps, to make important decisions about developing and renovating our own workshop, having tested interesting equipment in real life in advance.

Conclusion

I was very excited to visit this place, and I would like to wish all of us to have similar places in Moscow and in other cities, there everyone can implement their creative projects and improve their skills. I give this place a big plus!