Immortal Outfits: Costumes from Different Eras in ''The Age of Adaline''

Film as painting, sculpture or architecture is art. It combines many details, which turn into a magnificent meaningful picture in the right hands.

Today I would like to draw your attention to costume designers`s work on the example of "The Age of Adaline" film. It brings us back to 1908, when the main character was born. However, after a mysterious accident, Adaline (Blake lively) ceases to age and nowadays looks the same as on the day of the accident.

More than a century period gave Angus Strathie, Oscar-winning costume designer, a wide field for creativity. In my opinion, he managed to create a unique style for Adaline, formed in the 1920s, which can be traced through the years. However, the audience also observes characteristic features of different eras in her outfits, so you may notice old-fashioned Adaline and her long way.

I suggest following Adaline's changes decade after decade.

1920s:

vintage silk dress with lace, Cloche hat, pearl earrings

1930s:

vintage wedding dress with embroidery and lace, veil with pearl hair comb

1940s:

pillbox hat, vintage red dress, pearl earrings and necklace

1950s:

wool coat, silk scarf

1960s:

wool coat, silk headscarf

1970s:

sweater dress, wide leather belt, matching shoes

1980s:

military trench, black dress

1990s:

floral dress, navy-style cardigan, flat shoes

Present Days:

pearl jewellery combined with modern and vintage dresses and, of course, different coats and trench coats

In the final scene, we can see Adaline, wearing different outfit. "The last dress is my favorite – shiny yellow gown with black-beaded embroidery, made by Gucci for the film. It shows a completely different woman, not the Adaline that you see at the beginning of the film – in slippers and thick grandmother's sweater. The significance of the dress for the story made it even more beautiful," says Blake.

If you like the article, put likes and share movies that hit you with costumes in the comments. Would you like to watch this movie?

Thank you for your attention!