Iris throughout Centuries

There are such motifs in art that are often used: wave, sun, lily flower motifs and so on. So it happened with a beautiful iris. It has carried its history through thousands of years and inspired all continents.

Even now iris does not give up its position as an object for stylization in all kinds of creativity.

By artefacts, we can trace interest in iris in Ancient Egypt and Japan, in European countries and in the East. It seems that there is no such period of art development when you can't find stylized irises. Sometimes they are a part of a large composition, sometimes it is just a separate object.

I tried to collect examples from different periods and styles from all over the world, which I have found while studying these beautiful flowers.

Ancient world.

This "rainbow" flower goes back to Middle ages. It is called rainbow as in Greek, iris means "rainbow". Not surprising, because irises really have all rainbow colours.

Then they move to the Renaissance.

You can also find them in Baroque and Rococo. Some of them are highly stylized, others are more realistic.

Here is an example of Japanese art from the 19th century.

In Modern era, irises had become popular as ever! They were everywhere, because thin stems, elongated leaves, wavy edges of the petals fit perfectly into the idea of plastic Art Nouveau.

Art Deco examples are no less interesting!

You can give many more examples of stylized irises. Why irises have become so popular? Probably everyone will give their own answer. Thin line, plastic, combination of colours, flowers from parent`s garden — it all inspires me!

Thank you for your attention! Never may your sources of inspiration run out!