From Generation to Generation: Story of One Sculpture

Every time I visit relatives in La Rochelle, I go to the centre, to the old port.

This is a hallmark in La Rochelle, a favorite place for tourists to walk.

If you turn from the old port in the direction of the beach, then you will definitely see a unique, and at the same time meaningful wall sculpture-bas-relief on your way.

I can not pass by this sculpture, and every time I stop for a long time and look at it.

After all, there is something to study!

This bas-relief "From Generation to Generation" by French sculptor, comics and animated films artist Bruce Krebs makes you think and reflect on the history of our society.

The artist comments: "This is the story about people who read on the head of other people, who also read on the head of other people, and so on. It's like passing cultural heritage from one generation to another. But it happens so that one generation refuses to read and then everything is a mess and gets gradually destroyed and disappears...".

It all started with a small sketch on the train, and only two characters with book heads. Gradually the sculptor had developed this idea, and later added another, and characters who refuse to read, and the consequences of this.

As a result, the bas-relief was cast in bronze, the artist made it with a beautiful greenish patina, so that the bas-relief looks like an ancient sculpture and does not contrast with the monuments of La Rochelle.

This work was created in 1999 and amazes with its deep meaning, brightness of images and power of influence!

Most of the characters here are presented with a head in the form of a book, it is the generation of people who transmit their knowledge and experience with the help of books, left after them, scientific inventions, works of art and architecture.

Facial expressions and hand moves are different, the sculptor managed to convey their facial expressions in metal.

When subsequent generations use legacy of previous generations, humanity progresses, rises to a higher stage of its development.

But it happens in another way, when a generation of people refuses to use the accumulated experience and knowledge of previous generations, here such characters are depicted with hands that close their eyes, and books on their heads are already closed.

What happens afterwards? The next generation does not want to transfer their knowledge, the bas-relief portrays people who cover their mouths with their hands, and they have bald heads, without books, they can learn nothing without books!

Then we see faces with cracks and degradation, and gradually they collapse, and the civilization disappears.

The sculpture is really bright and colourful, that is just breathtaking!

I found a winter picture where you can clearly see the size of this sculpture and how it looks together with the old buildings of the beautiful city of La Rochelle.

I am interested in your opinion, do you think we use cultural heritage of previous generations or have already started to abandon it?

Share in the comments, what this sculpture-bas-relief made you feel.

If you like it, then press "like".