Transfering Sketch to Large Format by Printing

In this video tutorial, I will tell and show how I transfer a picture to canvas, using printing. How to make your draft bigger without losing proportions, composition, good images and bold lines.

The method is suitable for beginners and those who paints copies, that would be accurate and fast to transfer the picture to canvas.

To transfer the picture to canvas you will need:

• sketch and scanner or scanned sketch in jpg format;
  • Photoshop and Xara programs;
  • printer (can be black and white);
  • A4 size paper;
  • tape;
  • marker;
  • pencil;
  • ballpoint pen;
  • canvas on cardboard or on a stretcher, or hardboard of the desired format.

The point is that to print a full-length image on A4 sheets with fragments, glue them and transfer the picture. I will show my way to deal with the task of splitting the picture into these fragments for printing.

With this method, it is possible to transfer a picture to a large canvas, even a small sketch.

Along the way, this video shows all the stages of working with the picture, from sketch to colour work, as a rough scanned sketch I process in Photoshop, make a colour sketch, think over a tone layout and colour scheme, correct flaws, refine and detail the sketch directly when transferring it to canvas.

The video is 11 minutes long.

The process of transferring the picture to canvas is shown on the example of my own work — Putting the Moon to Sleep.

Thank you for your attention!