Making Thistle for Brooches

Today I'm going to show you how to use mixed media to make a Thistle twig for a brooch.

So, you will need the following tools and materials:

Modern clay, brushes, wire, scissors, wire cutters, PVA glue (latex), Mouline lilac thread, greasy cream for clay kneading, grass green paint, zinc white paint, tweezers, powder and contact glue.

Start.

Wind Mouline thread on two fingers (about half a skein).

Take a wire (ø 0.35 mm), fold in half and tie it with a thread.

Cut the thread on both sides.

As my younger child says, "soften" clay with a small amount of cream, add green oil paint and knead the desired colour. Wrap in cling film, so that the clay doesn't dry out. Remember that oil dries clay, so work with painted clay quickly, do not hesitate.

Take contact glue and apply it into the middle of the thread, quickly, until the glue is not absorbed, connect and compress the middle, so that it does not fall apart in the future and you cannot see the wire.

If you are used to working with rolled tape wire, it is better to do it now. I use tape rarely, so I will roll the stem on the bare wire.

With PVA glue, carefully glue the base of the flower.

Take a piece of coloured clay and closing the bottom of the flower, form the base.

Work quickly, without letting the clay dry. With manicure scissors cut thorns, starting from the edge near the threads. Move in a circle, gradually rising up. The thorns in the rows must be arranged in a chequerboard pattern.

Smooth thorns to the base for them not to stick out. Let the flower dry. It is more convenient to do it under a table lamp.

Form the stem. Glue the bottom of the base of the flower and roll it with clay.

Without letting the clay dry, smooth the joint of the flower and stem with wet fingers, so that the seam is invisible.

Thistle is too shaggy. It's not good at all. Then proceed to haircut. With sharp scissors (I use professional hairdresser`s scissors), cut the thread. Cut in a circle: thread in the centre should be a few millimetres longer than at the edges. Cut slowly and carefully. Remember that the new hair will not grow, do not cut too much, do not make bald spots and Iroquois.

After cutting fluff the threads with tweezers or a stack, whatever you like.

Well, it looks like a thistle))

Now proceed to the bud. Roll the ball of fresh clay, making it slightly egg-shaped. Wet the tip of the wire in the contact glue and stick the bud.

Take scissors and as carefully as the last time, cut thorns, starting from the bottom and moving in a circle.

Dry under a lamp and roll the stem with clay. Technology is the same.

Start painting. Take a little of zinc white with a brush, wipe off excess paint on a napkin and with a half-dry brush apply white on the thorns.

Almost everything, but not quite. If you ever paid attention, thistles as well as burdock, are often covered with fluff at the bottom, with cobwebs leftovers and other natural "litter". To make the flowers look more natural, take white powder and white glue. Dilute PVA glue in half with water, take it with a brush, and apply it on the thorns. Without waiting for the glue to dry, dip a dry brush into the flock and sprinkle the thorns with it.

But I thought the flock was not enough — too smooth and short. Therefore, take a couple of down feathers (down as it is soft and gentle), cut the fluff into small pieces and stick them on the thorns.

Connect the flower and bud. I must say, the assembly can be performed in different ways. The classic version: to collect with tape, I just twist two wires and roll the stem with clay, rubbing the joints with water.

Now all we have to do is make a leaf. Cut out cosmea leaf, make it with any suitable mold, and with fingers smooth the edges, forming small thorns.

Stick the sheet to the wire, dry under the lamp, giving the desired shape.

Paint if you want to. Sometimes I paint with white, like a bud, sometimes shade with Carmine.

Making a twig. There are two ways to do it. You can cut dry clay from the stem to the place where they will be attached to the leaf, attach a piece of tape and close with clay. Or you can just paste wire with the leaf into wet stem (luckily the stem is thick enough), gluing it at the base. In both cases, you are to rub the joints of the stem and leaf with water.

I showed you the minimum set. For brooches, you'd better make a few buds, located next to each other, and three or four flowers.

I hope the tutorial was interesting for you.

Thank you for your attention. Good luck!