Scarred and Kilted: Men Also Wear Skirts

In my article I want to introduce you to a plaid kilt skirt. I had an opportunity to learn about this skirt at school, though it might not be an exact copy of a kilt, or was rather akin to it. In Soviet Union, when everything was in short supply, our mothers managed to buy checked fabric and sewed skirts for us. At least, that's how it was for me. I remember this pattern even now, these folds, this fabric, though again, it was a sort of kilt, but then time and fashion were different. The USSR treated these skirts ambiguously. You couldn't wear it everywhere. For example, my classmate came to school to class, wearing skirt with large green checked pattern, and the jacket was matching, but self-knitted, but also green. The teacher shamed her for it and walked home and asked her parents to come to school. Now these memories make me smile a sad smile... Then, growing up, I saw what I thought were skirts on men. It was a little weird for me. Men wear skirts... However, I understood that this was a national feature. Having become aware of Scottish history, having studied its culture and traditions, I learned that kilt is not just a man's skirt. If you read or remember the history of the country, you can understand why Scottish men are so fond of wearing kilt. Kilt for Scots is a symbol of bravery, freedom, courage, stubbornness. Kilt was made of a large piece of fabric, which was wrapped around waist and fastened with special buckles and belts.

Kilts can be large and small.

A large kilt could be thrown over shoulder to hide from bad weather. The skirt was quite loose and helped men overcome serious obstacles: to move fast, to cope with severe weather, to cross the river. Kilt is equally convenient for living in the forest and in homes. In short, it helped to tackle problems that ordinary clothes couldn't. Kilt translates as folded.

Kilts were made of tartan, wool material. By the number of tartan colours, it was possible to learn social status of a person: one — a servant, two — a farmer, three — an officer, five — a military leader, six — a poet, seven — a leader.

Little kilt presumably originated in 1725 on the initiative of Englishman Rolinson. The head of the steel plant suggested leaving just lower part of the kilt for convenience and cutting off the rest. The kilt length was determined as follows: a person squatted and the edge of the material that touched the floor was cut off. In the 18th century, British authorities tried to prohibit Scots wearing kilts, but it never happened. Nowadays, there are about 700 tartan patterns, and kilts are popular not only among militant Scots, but also among noble British.