Waste-free Production: Paintings from Materials at Hand by Lisa Kokin

I love work of modern designers, who use things that we call garbage in everyday life :). You look at these creations and wonder HOW could these littter be turned into something like that?!

Here is another finding — wonderful work by Lisa Kokin — American artist and designer.

Quite by chance I found her website and just "stuck" — everything is so subtle, elegant, unusual and amazing!
This is not just my reaction from the first impression. See it yourself and you will also be pleasantly surprised :).

How did it start?

Lisa Kokin tells:
"In 2008, I found boxes with cowboy novels at a local recycling center. I don't read such novels, but the sheer number of books prompted me to take them to my studio. They lay in a pile in the corner for a long time, and then I figured out what to do with them.

I used separate pages and fragments, parts of covers — all the contents of the book. During my daily walks I began to collect pods, leaves — their elegant forms attracted me much. I used dried plants as a prototype of my future works to make everything look like in nature.

After moving to El Sobrante forest area, my work became a reflection of my new environment. I started to observe a wide variety of plants and leaves and use them in my work.

For example, eucalyptus leaf. Curved and elongated shape of the leaf is aesthetically attractive to me. The way the leaves are grouped downwards makes me feel melancholic.

Ginkgo biloba leaves symbolize eternity as they were created by nature a long time ago. Well, fan-shaped leaves are very attractive for creativity."

In addition to floral motifs, the designer uses abstract forms. She takes torn pieces of bills, and, as the artist herself notes, this use of money allows you to show how their influence is depreciated in such a torn form.
Money turns into a common green-white mass.

Beauty of such works is in details. If you look from afar, you see only a colorful panel with pleasing forms, but when you look closely and come closer, small details begin to exist as if on their own, boosting amazing combinations and imagination.

Especially surprising are doilies, sewn from scraps of money and threads. Very fine and skillful work.

Old photos turn into such intricate panels, which you can study endlessly:

Lisa Kokin has an infinite number of beautiful works, everything can not be covered and placed here, but I will be glad if her work will inspire artists and help to create their own unique works!