Wonderful Costumes for ''The Dressmaker'' Film at Exhibition in Canberra. Part 2

Dear readers, I invite you to proceed the exhibition of excellent costumes from "The Dressmaker" film. This article is the second part of my, if I may say so, report from the costume exhibition held in Canberra (Australia) in summer 2019. Start here>>>

Fashion of 1950s, New Look style by Dior did not only decorate the film, but also created its special atmosphere and color. In this picture, costumes are as important as the plot. Costumes and dresses of the main character and of other characters are playing their role at a full volume, and are telling us, the audience, much in their language.

Here is the beginning of the film, the main character, super-dressmaker Tilly (actress Kate Winslet) appears before the dwellers of the town.

Tilly appears in spectacular black, takes off her fur-trimmed cape and long gloves. The tight dress with bare shoulders and a cut from the hip resembles a legendary Hayworth dress, created by Jean Louis.

Tilly takes off her gloves. A simple (not at all simple in the performance of Kate Winslet) gesture refers film connoisseurs to a similar gesture by Rita Hayworth from the film "Gilda" (1946). In that film, the scene of the dance and the removed glove was understood as a striptease.

But this is just a brief digression. However, the removed glove by Kate Winslet, is also very symbolic — a daring challenge to fellow countrymen, the people of the Australian backwoods.

The exhibition presents not so many costumes of the main character. Here is a simple everyday dress that Tilly, a dressmakers from Paris, wears. The viewer gets to know her as a student of Madame Vionne. Tilly sews dresses, inspired by the outfits from Dior, according to the script she served Madame Madeleine Vionne and was recommended by Cristobal Balenciaga.

Dressmaker's tools in the early 1950s, classic pin cushion and a portrait of Madame Vianne, everything can be seen on display at the exhibition.

In the photo below is a legendary sewing machine Tilly uses — Singer 201K2. This is a very expensive model — its cost in those days was equal to the six-months` salary of a worker. It is still considered one of the best in the professional sphere.

In the photo is a sewing machine and the same gorgeous scarlet moire from Milan, which once bought dresser Margot Wilson. It was she who "invented" outfits, created a mind-blowing look for the main character of Kate Winslet, in the film the actress changes about thirty outfits. The action takes place in 1951. Most recently, in 1947, Christian Dior presented his debut collection Corolle, which entered the history of fashion. According to the script, Tilly returned to her native provincial town, in the "Australian Outback" from Paris.

A spectacular scarlet dress, of course, is presented at the exhibition and I tried to make detailed photos, so that you can see the cut and evaluate the quality of the work of designers and tailors. Like other costumes at the exhibition, the famous dress is shown against the background of one of the key shots, episodes of the film. Tilly appeared in the middle of the match, which brought together all the town dwellers.

Not all Kate Winslet's outfits were presented at the exhibition, but in the film the audience has the opportunity to enjoy her amazing dresses and costumes. This is a real New Look celebration!

Tilly with her magic skill transforms women in Dungatar, even changes their lives, illuminating it with amazing colors and fabulous outfits! Let us look at the supporting characters. Again, these unique costumes look especially charming with authentic, vintage accessories.

In this photo, you can see that the dress consists, as it were, of three layers, not just on the lining. Silk lining, chiffon and lace, embroidered fabric, embroidery on the grid.

A hat with a veil gives completeness to this festive gown. This time the hat is not vintage, but of a very subtle style.

Vintage "flower" hat and gorgeous vintage brooch, which deserves special attention.

An interesting accessory — vintage handbag from 1950s — completes the set.

Sketches on display.

Lovely hat, chiffon top.

Margot Wilson and Marion Boyce, costume designers, created this holiday for us, without missing a single detail, preserving the fully impeccable style of New Look.

In the second part of the article, I collected all those photos that were not included in the first part. I simply admire the skill, style, ingenuity and thoroughness of every detail of the costumes. The film does not have a single passing casual attire — everything is at the highest level!

Dress of colored taffeta, vintage hat with a veil-mesh.

The blue dress is also made of taffeta, it perfectly fits the figure thanks to the skirt of a wonderful cut. I tried to make the most detailed photos.

A handbag, made of colored taffeta with a clasp, is also worth looking at in details.

That's how a great corrugated cape was created. Photo quality is lame, made from the monitor.

Process...

and the result!

In the first part, I said that such accessories and hats can be found at auctions in Canberra as well. Here are two photos from the May auction (Barn). I really wanted to buy these hats... but I hesitated.

Authentic, vintage hats, handbags, jewellery let the audience immerse in the atmosphere and style of the 1950s, making the film original in detail with all the fabulousness and conventionality of the plot.

A few more photos from the exhibition. Japanese kimono, in which the local ladies went to the holiday, unaware of what awaits them at home.

This is the finale of the film: Tilly "shut the door closed"...

I want to show you one wonderful film episode, especially for those ladies who have not seen the film. It has no direct relationship to the subject, because Tilly was never going to make a suit for this character. But I hope you understand me :)

In the photo below, I'm a "photographer" and the author of the article. Thank you for your attention!

The exhibition is held here, in the National Archives, in Canberra, the capital of Australia.

I wrote this article using some footage and my own pictures of the exhibition, and I also used Internet materials by Nastya Poletaeva and Rita Zheleznyakova. Thank you!