Tutorial: Embroidering ''Butterfly'' Brooch from Beads

Butterfly is one of the most favorite subjects in the creation of jewellery. In this tutorial on beading you will learn how to make such a lovely brooch in the form of a butterfly with your own hands, its wings have elegant gradient color.

All the materials are mentioned during the process. Let's get started!

Firstly, choose your favorite picture of a butterfly. Almost always I draw a sketch by hand, but this time I need a perfect symmetry, so I found a butterfly pattern of the desired shape on the Internet, printed it and cut out.

As a basis I use a hard felt 1 mm thick, the color is beige. I cut the corners, so that a thread wouldn't cling to them when I am working. Apply the template to the felt and outline. I use silver gel rod.

Now let's make a contour with the help of a rope. Here I need hard cannetille 1 mm thick, colour "silver". Slightly stretch the rope, so that there are gaps. By the way, this will make it more malleable.

Prepare a needle (I have an English needle, Micron №10/13) and a thread (I have a transparent monofilament). Sew the rope on the drawn contour, passing loops between the gaps of the spiral. At the beginning and at the end make three stitches for cannetille ends to be fixed securely.

Now let's make the "body" of the butterfly. Take Swarovski Teardrop 4322 10x5mm crystal, Black Diamond color and a suitable frame for it (I have 4322/S 10x5 mm 3PH20 Rhodium Plating) of silver color. Put the crystal in the frame.

Sew the framed crystal as shown in the photo (the frame has special holes through which you need to pull the thread).

Now let's start to make butterfly`s wings. They will be crowned with Swarovski crystal pearls Crystal Rosaline Pearl of different sizes. In the corner of the wing I sew a 5 mm bead.

Next come two beads of 4 mm and they are followed by five beads with 3 mm diameter.

Sew the pearls on the other side in the same way and prepare two Swarovski bezel of 6 mm, Rose Water Opal color. Sew them in the corners right under the big pearls.

Next to the crystal sew 3 small 3-mm pearls.

Let's start filling the wing! Start at the top and use round pale pink beads Toho, size 11, Permanent Finish internal silvering, milky, pale pink (PF2120). Randomly fill the area near the beads and crystal with them.

Begin to add round light grey seed beads Toho, size 11, Permanent Finish internal silver coating, milky, cloud (PF2101).

Continue embroidering with gray beads, and when you reach small winglet, add round white Toho beads, size 11, color 141 (Ceylon, snow).

In the center of the small wing I sewed Swarovski bezel 4 mm, Crystal color.

Fill the area around the bezel with white beads.
I fill the gaps with small Toho beads, size 15, color 981 (Painted inside, crystal/snow).

Similarly embroider the second wing. When everything is ready, take sharp scissors and carefully cut out the workpiece, leaving 0.5-1 mm felt edges.

Now we begin to prepare a back side. Place the butterfly on the cardboard and outline. On the resulting contour, reduce 1-2 mm and cut out a cardboard blank.

Now glue the cardboard blank to the back of the butterfly. I use transparent glue. It is easy to use, it dries quickly, and most importantly — it does not paint the product. Wait 10 minutes for the glue to dry.

Meanwhile, proceed to the second part of the creation of a beautiful back side. For it, I use genuine leather 0.6-0.8 mm thick, the color is bright silver metallic.
Basis for brooches 25х5 mm, silver steel with rotating locking of the needle.

Outline the butterfly on the back side of leather.

Try on where the pin will be located. Important: do not do it exactly in the middle. It should be a little higher. So the butterfly will not bend down when worn.

Make slots for pins and pull it to the front side.

Now glue the butterfly to leather, applying glue on the cardboard.

Wait 20 minutes for the glue to dry.

Carefully with sharp scissors cut out the butterfly.

Now you have to process the edge of the brooch. I use silver Toho beads, size 15, color 21 (Internal silvering, crystal).

For plating I use thread S-LON size AA, gray.
Pass the needle through the felt. The knot will hide between it and the leather.

Start to sew the beads. Having sewed a bead, pass a needle through it from below.

Try to sew beads close to each other. The covering will not only improve the edge, but also make a beautiful edging.
When everything is ready, hide the thread in the felt: sew the product along the base, cut the end of the thread with sharp scissors as close as possible to the base.

The butterfly is ready!

You can experiment with shades:

Subscribe to follow my new articles, tutorials and news.
If you like my tutorial, press likes, I will be very pleased!