Wonderful Costumes ''The Dressmaker'' Film at Exhibition in Canberra, Australia

This year my vacation in Canberra coincided with three interesting exhibitions. I want to share with you my impressions. The first exhibition I am going to talk about is devoted to the wonderful outfits of Dressmaker film characters, shot in Australia in 2015 (shown in Russia in 2016).

This film is a special pride of the Australian cinema, it was awarded several honorary awards, including the award of the Guild of Costume Artists for the best costumes in the historical film, these people are costume designer Marion Boyce and Margot Wilson. They write and say a lot about the film. I'll tell you about the exhibition.

In the photo from the monitor screen is director Jocelyn Moorhouse. The exhibition was accompanied by an interesting video about the history of the film, the work of costume designers and stylists. The local press wrote a lot about the exhibition.

After the release of the film costumes by Marion Boyce and Margot Wilson were shown in several cities in Australia, including Canberra.

The film takes place in the early 1950s, the characters` clothing was created "based on" the collection by Christian Dior. In addition, the artists used authentic vintage accessories that can be picked up at auctions, second-hand stores and Sunday flea markets in Australia. In the film you can see several hats 50 years old in perfect condition, gloves, dresses and parts of costumes. That is why the exhibition is especially interesting. I tried not to miss these details and make the most detailed photos.

In this photo, a piece of silk moire, Margot Wilson brought it from Milan, for many years it was waiting in the wings to turn into a wonderful dress for Kate Winslet`s character. About this dress I will talk later. But what is in the photo below, you can see in all the details.

Costumes are presented on mannequins, often against the backdrop of film and scenes from the film.

In those cases where it was possible to remove individual parts of the costumes to look at the cut and the material I tried to make several photos of one model. After all, the character of the film is a dressmaker (she is cool!) therefore, some artists on Livemaster may need these details. Moreover, all the costumes are professionally worked out to the smallest detail.

The video, dedicated to the creation of the film, its style and costumes shows the process of (manual) making in great detail of this corrugated cape of thick silk (not organza, as you can read on the Internet) of creamy color.

According to the plot of the film, the action takes place in the Australian province, in a fictional provincial town. By the way, the process of creating houses and streets of the town is also included in the video.

The first meeting of the main character with long-abandoned countrymen and further fantastic transformation of local ladies in dresses of Haute Couture, of course, intrigues you. By the way, it reminds of Zigzag of Luck, a Russian film. Of course, we could not even dream about a couturier to make our dreams come true... So, it is even more exciting to follow the plot of the Australian fairy tale about terrible revenge.

Especially impressive is the transformation of Trudy, a nondescript girl with glasses, with a bag in her hands. In the photo above is her casual dress BEFORE meeting with a talented dressmaker. And below is a new outfir.

In the background, dress dressmaker Tilly (Kate Winslet) and her mother's clothes, whose life, by the way, is changing drastically when her daughter comes back from Paris to the Australian outback.

Trudy has two wedding dresses in the film, the first was rashly made by Tilly`s competitor, dressmaker without any taste, skill and chic that Tilly has.

Trudy (actress Sarah Snook) was very lucky with the outfits, one is better than the other. Here's the second wedding dress by Tilly.

Very simple, elegant and unique!

Marion Boyce made outfits for Trudy. But one set is vintage — red and white dress by Nina Ricci, it is complemented by a fantastic hat. The peculiarity of the fashion of the 1950s is that ensembles, as a rule, completely matched in color: suit, hat, bag, gloves, shoes. In the film it is reverently reproduced.

We know another great work by artist Marion Boyce: costumes for the series "Miss Fisher`s Murder Mysteries".

Black suit with a peplum made from taffeta. It is a pity, it was not possible to photograph an unusual hat.

Draping is a very effective technique, but also very complex. In the outfits for the film, it is quite common in different versions.

The skirt of the dress for the girl is made with bow pleats, bodice with a round turn-down collar. Chiffon dress with lining.

This dress has a very beautifully made bodice. This form of sleeves are back in fashion of the 1980s.

Vintage straw hat, leather reticule, vintage brooch and miniature watch, vintage necklace — all accessories are genuine.

You've probably already noticed that I didn't bring a photo of the main character's outfits, Tilly. I want to present them in the second part of the article, they just did not fit on this page, like some other outfits. So, to be continued...

Thank you for your attention! Good luck!