Thread Painting: Needlework by Vera Shimbereva
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Needlework

Embroidery can be of different types. As in any other form of creativity, everything is limited by the flow of imagination of an artist, which brings him/her the most unusual ideas not only of the plot, but also of materials to bring the idea to life.

All of us have long been accustomed to the fact that paintings are composed of colored or monochrome strokes of oil, watercolor, acrylic, gouache and so on. But imagine a needle instead of a brush and a thread instead of paint... Does someone do that? I can certainly say that someone does!

Such unusual painting materials are used by a resident of the city on the Neva River, Vera Shimbereva (known as Shimunia). "I love drawing more than anything, but my brush is a needle," she says. "I draw with threads what I feel. The way I feel." It is this approach that makes Vera's miniature works unique, because she embroiders on hoops of the size of her palm, pendants, brooches, rings and necklaces without any sketches.

Such an approach can be compared with the Impressionists, who sought to capture the moment and emotions of elusive seconds. Like the Impressionists, Vera draws her inspiration from nature, so on her mini-canvases you can see meadows, fields, lakes, rivers and mountain landscapes.

Shimunia got interested in this type of work accidentally. "I always liked to embroider, but I wasn`t patient enough for large embroidery, and it was pity to spend so much time. Cross-stitch seemed boring to me, I could not find myself in painting neither. Once I saw a competition dedicated to early autumn and I really wanted to take part in it. It was important to make something unique, and I embroidered a small bouquet of flowers of about 1.5 cm in size on an orange felt. I liked it so much that I forgot to think about the competition. I began to try to learn from my mistakes. I have been practicing, experimenting for 3 years now. Nature is the most inspiring. Someday I hope to embroider a perfect sky," Vera says.

If you like the article, press "like" button, write comments and add the article to your favorites!

Thank you for your attention!