Vanishing Beauty of Abandoned Places by Cate Inglis

I want to present to you the first article from a series that I want to start — a series of articles about artists who see the urban environment around us in their own way and explore it through their creativity. Here is the work of a very unusual artist, drawing very unusual landscapes.

Cate Inglis is a modern Scottish landscape painter, and she lives in Glasgow. Her detailed paintings-drawings, painted with oil on wooden panels, explore the transience of the existence of built-up urban environment. Cate is focused on abandoned industrial buildings, and the special charm of her work lies in some chronicles of layers of dark structures, now unused and gradually collapsing.

Сate says: "My practice is related to the layers and structure of the urban landscape: the transience of the built environment in the relentless process of change. I'm looking for overgrown, abandoned places and wastelands where disappearing buildings are gradually being destroyed. Urban research is a key part of my practice, and recent work has included exploring the outskirts of urban areas. Dark, industrial facilities that are out of use. Structures left to collapse, overflowing with plant life."

Сate was born in Greenock in 1975 and graduated from Glasgow School of Art as a Bachelor of Arts in 1999. At first she worked as a designer, then continued her career as a freelance art teacher. Throughout this period, Cate continued her painting practice, and in 2013 she was awarded the RGI Armour Prize for landscape painting. Since 2013 she has been painting full-time.

Isn't it a wonderful work? As they say, learn to see beauty in everything around us.