Ostuni, Italy: Magical Snow-white City

I have previously published short stories with photos from my trips. I wanted to make the column permanent, but, alas, time has gone somewhere. Finally, I have goy round to it.

I remember seeing a picture from Ostuni on the web-page of a blogger girl. So, I realized that I wanted to go there, I should. This was another reason in my treasury of reasons to go to that part of Italy.

It is easy to get to Ostuni, just take Trenitalia train at Bari central station, if it is Intercity, the trip will take about 40 minutes, and if Regionale, then it will take you almost an hour.

It would be a pity as it is 4 km to the center of Ostuni from the station. Walking this way is not interesting, but it is nice to travel along it by bus, which runs according to schedule.

I studied the bus schedule in advance, on the website of the bus company, the same thing hung on a pole right there, but, just in case, I asked local taxi drivers, they told me to wait, everything would be as it should be.

Upon arrival, I immediately got to the main square, which has the city hall, tourist center, restaurants and church.

That's the church. This is Chiesa di San Francesco (Church of St. Francis). The doors are decorated with biblical scenes and deserve special attention.

I could not but go inside, it is very beautiful inside, there are statues and paintings. I walked quietly through the Church, delaying and savoring the moment when I could plunge into the snow-white sea of houses, creating a bizarre pattern of streets in Ostuni.

The "white city" is an unofficial name of Ostuni. Since ancient times the walls of houses have been painted with white lime. Firstly, they began to do in order to make the streets lighter and expand the space. Well, lime has antibacterial properties, which, incidentally, saved the inhabitants during the plague.

Why should you come here and what to do? The answer is one — to walk, wander, watch. You may not use any maps, but just get lost in the intertwining snow-white streets to suddenly get into a narrow alley, dotted by houses with colorful doors and where there is no one. Then suddenly you may go out to a wide street, filled with tourists. Sooner or later you will find yourself either on the main street or go out to the wall. So, getting lost is not terrible, it is useful.

So let's just walk and see.

How beautifully and authentically snow-white walls and architectural elements of the southern Baroque combine!

Getting here, by the way, is quite simple. You are take a train from Bari or Lecce. From the station there is a local bus stop right there. The bus schedule is made so that all who come from Bari and Lecce have time for it. Just for those who arrive early will have to wait for the departure.