Sculpting Colorful Dragon from Polymer Clay

1. Preparation of materials, tools, and working place:

Everybody chooses tools his/herself, someone needs separate tools for everything while somebody else uses only one needle. I use Fimo Professoinal polymer clay, you need the main color and a couple of additional ones, related to the main. Also, you need any base on which the dragon will lie in the process, and during baking — glass, ceramics, etc.

2. Roll out the canes, form the body, immediately insert the eyes and place them in the correct positions on the basis not to press or touch the dragon later.

3. You can apply texture to the body — lines, dots, rings.

4. Divide a piece of clay in two identical pieces to form legs. They can be of any type — with lateral processes, smooth, clawed, wings, etc.

5. Personally, my favorite legs are sharpened half-wings. Attach them in place, smooth, make a similar body texture.

6. From bigger pieces form the wings — roll out, cut on the edge, manually sharpen and smooth them.

7. Attach to the body and smooth.

8. The tips of the "feathers", which will remain open from further patterns, can also be decorated — relief, notches, "feathers", etc.

9. The resulting basis is sent to the first baking. Fimo is baked at 110 degrees for about 15 minutes.

10. Then work with a solid foundation.

11. Sculpt small details — feathers. For the far row I take the lightest "intermediate" color.

12. Attach them to the base of each other.

13. On the second row of feathers, you can use a different pattern, or leave the previous one. The main shade is added to the color.

14. Another row, the next color.

15. The last row is closed by the main color.

16. Start to shape the head. Lower eyelid, upper one, muzzle.

17. Lower jaw, comb, horns and spikes.

18. After the second baking, you can apply a small pattern (or not) and the dragon is ready!