The City of Honfleur: Artists, Antiques

The most beautiful French port is the port of Honfleur.

Honfleur is located in the Normandy region, in the north-west of France.

This is a small picturesque town, there are only 8 thousand dwellers, and in a few hours you can get around and see all its attractions.

It is very different from the city of Deauville, which I have already told you about!

Honfleur is not as chic and pompous as Deauville, but rather cozy, with its special flavor and great historical past.

After all, the first mention of Honfleur refers to the 1020s!

Honfleur is famous for being the cradle of impressionism. The picturesque harbor of the city, where white and blue yachts and boats of local fishermen are moored, is very common in the paintings of famous artists such as Monet, Sera, Sati and Baudelaire.

Following the local artist Eugene Boudin, a stream of artists from Paris rushed there, trying to portray the ever-changing light of Honfleur, certainly with its houses, surrounding the Old port.

There is even such a term in painting as "Honfleur school", which existed for about 70 years between 1824 till the end of the 19th century.

Representatives of this school are such famous impressionists as Claude Monet, Paul Signac, Gustave Courbet, Eugène Boudin and others.

Honfleur is always crowded: locals and tourists stroll along its most important promenade, which bears the name of St. Catherine.

After all, this place offers a beautiful view of the sea gate and ancient bay.

Especially beautiful Honfleur is in the evening, when the water surface reflects numerous lights from the windows of old houses.

All along the promenade, local artists sit down every day and transfer this magnificent landscape to their canvases, turning a white sheet of paper into an amazing picture.

Honfleur attracts contemporary artists as well as the Impressionists in the 19th century, and it is their constant source of inspiration.

I also visited an antique shop in Honfleur, and like in Deauville, I had already written about, it turned out to be a museum for me full of beautiful things, but completely inaccessible in price.

Very interesting shop, with rare antiques.

I have never seen so many old wooden horses!

They were in front of the store, in the window, and inside the store, but very expensive!

I also liked these antique panels, what a fine hand-carved wood, perhaps before they hung in a church or cathedral.

The store had a lot of large busts of plaster and marble of the Art Nouveau era.

Just look at how accurately facial expressions of each character are transferred!

In street corner sat a huge dog, perhaps, it guarded all of these magnificent things!

I was also very surprised and delighted by these two things: birds and a bouquet of flowers of the bride.

Here is a colorful tour as the city itself!

I hope you are not bored. Please, write me about your emotions from my tour of another city of Normandy, which I had recently discovered, and perhaps that you had too.