Idea for Props, Interior: How to Whiten Branches

A very simple tutorial on how to whiten the branches. Or bumps. Or dry leaves. Here is what you like, but we take branches as an example.

These are great props for photoshoot, especially when you do not always know how to fill the photo. Large branches or cones can be whitewashed to decorate the interior.

We do not need anything complicated, you have everything in the kitchen.

And yes, I'm back as a tripod.

Let's get started!

1. Cut the branches to the desired length and soak them in warm water, so that water clovers the branches.

2. Pour soda in a container and leave for a day. How much baking soda you need depends on the amount of water. For a bowl a third of the pack is enough. This softens the bark, later it will be easier to remove it from the trunk.

3. After 24 hours (approximately) pour the mixture into a pan and bring to a boil.

The water turns dark brown. Keep on low heat for 5-10 minutes.

When the solution is slightly cooled, the bark is easily removed from the trunk of the branch.

By the way, for the cones, this operation can be skipped. But if you need skeletal leaves, this stage is mandatory. Once the leaves have cooled down a bit, gently remove "flesh" with a toothbrush, exposing the skeleton.

4. Wash the branches.

5. Pour white into a container, not diluted. Attention! Only with gloves! I read that bleach makes nails stronger, but it spoils skin (not tested).

We placed the branches into the white and left for a day. Make sure that they (branches) do not pop up on the surface, otherwise there will be incidents (shown by arrow).

6. After 24 hours, mash and dry the transformed branches (cones) well. To get rid of smell, it is necessary to soak the branches for another day in cold water, changing it periodically.

7. Admire the result.

For branches to weave baskets, this option is unsuitable, the branches are hard. They are great for decor.

Below I show examples of several options how you can use branches in your interior.

In this photo I'm not sure, it looks like the branch was painted. But the idea is good.

Cones:

I have also found info on how to whiten ears of wheat or barley.

1. Put the ears in the solution for two days, closing the container with a film, so as not to evaporate.

We use hydrogen peroxide, 20%.

You can also use white, but this version (with peroxide) does not have any smell.

2. At the end of the term drain the solution. Place the branches, so that the excess peroxide goes away (you can use it again).

3. Leave it for a day in cold water.

The result:

Good luck!