Decorating Jewellery Box in Different Techniques

Work on this box is a continuous improvisation.

I invite you to watch how the decor of a jewellery box "Walk in Summer Garden" was born.

For work, I have chosen a box of my favorite shape — a flat square vertical one, which was primed long ago and waited in the wings. Unfortunately, I took a picture of it without a lid.

I have decided to decorate two large sides with trees, which I twisted from thin wire for flower arranging.

I quite easily pasted flat trees on vertical walls of the box with a transparent structural gel.

Then, to simulate the crown I glued castings made of plastic, which I bought a few years ago in a set of 8 pieces for unknown purpose :)

Somehow, magically, the total length of the 4 castings matched length of the decorated side of the box. Thus, all 8 pieces went into business.

Then I primed it all together with white artistic primer.

The atmosphere of summer garden was created with the help of acrylic paints of several colors. The basis was pale blue paint. A small amount of yellow paint combined with blue added a delicate shade of green to the background. With raw umber I just shaded the edges of the box.

Now it is time to paint blooming crowns of the trees.

Firstly, I have painted green foliage with 2 shades.

After the leaves were ready, I painted the flowers.

Of course, it was necessary to paint tree trunks. To do this, I used two colors — umber natural and bright blue.

Then, using white paint diluted with water, I dimmed the brightness of the painting. For this, I spilled dilluted paint in all the reliefs of the surface, and removed the excess with textiles.

When the paint dried, I treated the surface with glossy varnish.

Meanwhile, I decorated the narrow side walls of the box with two stencils.

Firstly, with one stencil I applied putty, making a three-dimensional ornament. After complete drying of the first layer, I applied the second layer of putty on the second stencil.

I have decided to cover narrower sides with gold petal. So I painted it with red ochre and varnished it.

I glued brass leaves on milk for gilding and varnished blankets with alcohol-based varnish.

I wanted to decorate the bottom of the box with flowers and fragrant herbs. To do this, I took chipboards with appropriate motives. Since the grass had to be at some distance from the trees, it was necessary to slightly pull the bottom of the box up. As for chipboards, on the contrary, they should have been shortened a little :)

With the help of white contour paste I gave volume to grass.

In order to strengthen the cardboard chipboard, I soaked it with dip in varnish. This method allows the varnish to penetrate all layers of cardboard, and not to remain on the surface.

When I once again tried the grass on the box, I realized that the grass was not the best to combine it with the overall style.

Then I decided to try to use a cut out part of the chipboard.

It turned out that this "lawn"-fence was what I needed!

I painted the new grass, using 3 shades of green.

I once again bathed the grass in varnish.

I fixed ready "lawn" with transparent gel, which allowed to glue the grass not close to the trees, but at some distance.

In order to add gold on the lid, I glued brass leaves on the grass and leaves.

I also wanted to add life and dynamics to the whole composition. I decided to populate the crowns of trees with birds :)

I wanted flying birds!

To do this, I chose copper birds with outstretched wings. In order for them to fit well into the "environment", I also glued brass leaves in them.

On the back side, I glued spring for remote mounting of birds above the trees.

Having drilled small holes in the crowns, I glued the free end of the spring into them.

Now the birds were hovering over my summer garden...

Now it remained only to attach a hardware — I glued the legs to the body and installed the handle on the lid of the box.

All the work was covered with a spray glossy lacquer.

Inside the box is painted with acrylic paints in the same color scheme as the outside part. I covered it with two layers of glossy lacquer.

Here is my jewellery box "Walk in Summer Garden".

P.S. I like to make practical things. This jewellery box also was made not for beauty, but in order to use it.

Therefore, for more secure attachment and to stiffen the pot, I spilled it with epoxy. Now it is securely held on the box and makes the overall composition.