Gluing Napkins on Light Wooden Surface

During 10 years of my creative career, I have made such sets several times. They are always popular. They are light, I would say, summer-spring, boards are pleasant to the touch, there are several pieces, so you can choose what board to use for cutting of what. They are also nice and cozy, with a preserved structure of light wood.

Here, it is important for wood to be REALLY light. Any dark tree is simply not suitable as it gets darker in the course of time. You can see my personal set in the picture, which is at least 6 years old. It's pine. You can see that after a while, it got slightly dark. In a video, you may see a cedar board. They remain light throughout time. I have already checked.

So, here are the materials.

The minimum set: wooden surface, napkins on a white background, acrylic lacquer, synthetic brush and any cord. I repeat: light board, the napkins are on white background.

Napkins on milk, ivory or yellow backgrounds are less suitable. One more thing: there are napkins of a fairly thick paper. These does not fit, because no matter how hard you try, the whitishness of this very paper will not go anywhere. So, the work will look like an application.

The essence of my work is the implantation of a napkin without soil, paint, so that there is a full feeling of a painted delicate pattern on the wooden surface.

The surface needs to be sanded PERFECTLY. Because there will be no soil, no paint.

Next steps are familiar to all people, working with decoupage: glue the napkin according to the method - file ON VARNISH. Dry. Use sandpaper to get rid of unnecessary particles of napkins at the edges, rising fiber and probably minimal folds. Paper № 150 (for unnecessary) and № 320 — for the surface.

Further goes routine work on varnishing. I have made my set with semi-gloss varnish. I needed 7-9 layers to get a flooded surface. If you paint with mat or satin finish, you need less layers, 4-5.

Stick the cord into the holes with glue (I have extra strong PVA glue).

That is all! Hang the boards in the correct sequence and admire.

The video is fast, but clear enough.