Fantastic Insects by Hiroshi Shinno
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Recycling

I continue my compilation of unusual insects that excite imagination and push for new types of creativity!

I want to introduce you unusual insects by Hiroshi Shinno, a Japanese artist and sculptor.

Hiroshi Shinno was born in Kyoto in 1979. He studied at the Kyoto University of Art and Design and at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. After graduation, he begins to create his own unique insects. In the work he uses all that can be taken from nature: barely noticeable seeds, thin transparent shells, dry leaves, tiny particles of various plants.

Looking at his insects, you do not immediately understand, they are real, just mimicry, or it is a figment of the sculptor's imagination! There are no such insects in nature, they were invented by the author.

5×3×7 cm

7×7 cm

All parts of insects are filled with resin and tinted with acrylic paints, base is brass or copper.

5×6×5 cm

3×2×10 cm

3×3×5 cm

3×3×5 cm

4×5.5×6 cm

6×5×8 cm

3×3×5 cm

6×5×5 cm

3×3×5 cm

5×5×6 cm

A little insight on the "backstage" to see what is used to make all these insects.

2×3.5×6 cm

4.5×2.5×5 cm

6×5×8 cm

6×5×8 cm

7×5×8 cm

6×5×8 cm

(32×12×12 cm)×56

6×5×5 cm

At his last exhibition there was a presentation of his works called "The Laboratory of Nature". Hiroshi went on to create from a single beetle-like creature to a collective creature with tiny lives, called the cluster of life.

These are 3D designs:

The Cluster of Life 2016.6.29 / epoxy, dye, wire / 24×24×24 cm

The Cluster of Life 2016.4.19 / synthetic resin, acrylic, stainless wire / 20×20×20 cm

The Cluster of Life 2015.5.8 / synthetic resin, acrylic, stainless wire / 20×20×20 cm

The Cluster of Life 2015.11.5 / synthetic resin, acrylic, stainless wire / 26×26×26 cm

The Cluster of Lilies

All these clusters resemble a cluster of living cells under a microscope, a real microcosm. All of them float in the air, under the ceiling on thin threads.

It is inconceivable how time-consuming the work is to create one installation like that!