Making Keychain of Genuine Leather

I want to share how I make handmade keychains of genuine leather. Such things may decorate car keys, a bunch of keys to various doors, and will also look great on both women's and men's handbags or purses. This idea — making keychains of genuine leather — came to my mind because of one simple reason: not so long ago, one of my friends bought a car and to make him even happier, I gave him a keychain with the logo and the number of his car, which perfectly fit into his car keyring and keychain alarm.

So, I start with the cutting of blanks of leather. I do this procedure, using a disc cutting knife for leather. It is convenient to work with it, and the cut lines are smooth and beautiful.

Next, in order for a keychain to look beautiful, cut out the center of the blanks on a pre-prepared pattern excess leather, it will be a loop, where you will insert metal ring of a keychain. In addition, I cut the size of cardboard inserts, which will give the product a denser look.

After that, fold the cardboard inserts in half and glue in the center to one side of leather. Here it is necessary to leave space for future firmware thread.

Next, prepare the surface for sizing and carefully apply the glue on the surface of the cardboard inserts and leather. Wait until the glue dries, and glue both sides of the keychain.

Then, make a marking on the perimeter of the product and make holes on leather with a line punch for piercing with a waxed thread.

Before flashing the product with a laser engraver, apply the image on the surface of the keychain. The applied image can be any — the number and logo of a car, label of organization, girlfriend`s name etc.

That's what happens:

At the final stage, sew the product with a waxed thread around the perimeter.

Here's how the result looks like: