Creating Vintage Photos

If you need props for photos in vintage style, retro style, in general, something old, romantic, this tutorial can help.

Everything is simple, we use what is at hand: a photo printed on a laser printer, thick PVA glue, thick cardboard and sandpaper. Also, varnish, it can be water one or spray mat.

Let`s begin!
I have found a perfect photo on the Internet (I searched "old photo" on Pinterest), printed on a laser printer (this is important!). Cut it out. I used a scalpel and an iron ruler, I always get uneven edges with scissors.

Place the photo in a strong tea solution (or coffee, then the photo is more yellow) and leave to dry. I have read somewhere that you can soak it in milk, but the photo after heating did not turn yellow (maybe milk should be of different fat content).

This paper dried up and became uneven, so iron it. You can skip this step, but then the picture will stick with folds, I did not like.

Cut out suitable base of really thick (preferably binding) cardboard and glue the photo with PVA glue. I made two variants: photo of the same size as of cardboard, and the photo smaller than the cardboard, so that a small edge of the cardboard left. I liked the second option more.

It is better to use wood glue. Actually, any will do, it's paper, but wood glue is as thick as sour cream, and the paper does not get wet, it is easier to work.

Apply the glue on the cardboard and glue immediately. The paper gets a little wet and the corners will give small wrinkles (office paper when wet gets slightly stretched).

When the card is dry, make it old with sandpaper.

To start, use fine sandpaper 360-400. Smooth the edge of the photo (not cardboard!), a little of the photo itself. Wrinkles are slightly convex, they are also erased, forming small cracks. As if the paper had cracked with time. If the effect is slight, bend the photo a bit and sandpaper the folds of the photo. Bend a little not to break the cardboard.

To fluff up the edges of the cardboard and whittle down the corners, use rough sandpaper, number of 80-120. The movements are multidirectional, you can slightly bend the corners inward or even tear the edges.

Cover both sides with two layers of varnish — any water mat.

Let`s now make the photo old, dim the novelty of the cardboard.

Make a sponge for washing dishes a little "dirty" (walnut, oak, rosewood). Remove extra liquid on paper and paint the edges of the photos, creating the illusion of darkened paper. Movement should be at an angle of 40 degrees, from myself outward. If desired, enhance the effect of yellowness in the photo and hold a sponge on the edges of the photo. The surface is covered with varnish, if overdone, the excess can be erased until the stain is dry. Or rub the surface.

Once again, apply varnish on the photo.

All props for photos in retro or vintage style are ready.

Here are examples of real photos from the Studio of the 19th century.