French Handmade Chocolate in Vintage Boxes

"Nine out of ten people love chocolate, and the tenth lies!" that's what the Swiss say.

I belong to those nine out of ten who love chocolate, and I do not hide it!

In France, you can find stunningly delicious handmade chocolate, completely of natural raw materials and without additives, with a minimum amount of sugar. This is not industrial chocolate, but chocolate, created in small workshops.

The profession of people who create this magic of taste, in France is called — "chocolatier" (le chocolatier).

In every city of France, small or large, be sure to find their own chocolate shops and, accordingly, their chocolatiers!

We have more and more of these handmade chocolate boutiques in downtown Orleans.

I must say that we are talking, of course, about chocolate candies, but it is interesting that the French call them just chocolate, but what is called chocolate in Russia, the French are sure to call a "chocolate bar" (les tablettes de chocolat).

So, every chocolatier seeks to come up with a chocolate with a special taste, which just does not happen, even with lavender, violets and different spices, I'm not talking about quite common chocolate with different nuts or fruits.

Although I am a supporter of classic dark chocolate, we have the so-called "ganache" with chocolate from different countries: Madagascar, Peru, Uganda, Vietnam and others.

This is something unique, after such a chocolate for a long time remains a pleasant aftertaste, and chocolate from each country has its own taste.

This is a chocolate gift in the form of different sculptures:

I really like that each boutique with handmade chocolate is decorated in its own style and taste.

Have a look at the decor and design of their showcases!

Candy is packed in cardboard branded boxes, candy is applied in rows until they fill the top of the box, they are different in size, and the payment goes by weight: the larger the box, the cheaper the price for 1 kg, handmade chocolate in France is expensive!

Boxes for such an expensive chocolate now modest, without much sophistication, and it's a pity!

Not like they were in the late 19-early 20 century, in the era of Art Nouveau!

But how often do I get the plot of this publication I suggested my amazing finds, this time from a flea market tours.

Yes, in my work discoveries happen often! I wasn't even expecting it that early chocolate was sold in such luxurious bags and boxes as a real treasure.

All boxes are made of cardboard, but what manual work, what decoupage! They are so different, that's because the imagination worked for the artists, everyone wanted to bring something different, original in shape and design.

Along with cardboard, other materials were used, such as leather, silk, gold woven braid, velvet.

Just works of art, and all just to buy chocolate, because it's just a package, although luxury!

Probably chocolate in the 19th century was very expensive, but why spend so much time on creating a box for it. Unfortunately, all the boxes are without price tags, and it will remain a mystery to us forever.

None of the boxes have the name of the chocolate, only in this large, similar to a box for needlework or a box for gloves inside was a paper with the name of the brand.

This is a well-known Swiss brand "TOBLER", but it will become known much later thanks to its bars, called "tobleron".

These two boxes are like luxurious jewellery boxes with beautiful engravings, on which there is even the same signature of the artist G. Pinel Paris, decorated with silk and lace, with a clasp made of gilded brass.

Beauty and only, with characteristic art Nouveau floral patterns!

This box is very finely made on cardboard amazing flowers in relief, and inside — a beautiful color engraving.

This box is also very interesting, at first I even thought that the beautiful carnations are made on a tin plate, so greatly transferred relief on cardboard, and drawing just in the spirit of things from art Nouveau era.

Inside the box was a paper with a picture of a boy collecting the grapes, perhaps, in this box chocolates with raisins were sold!

Look how harmonious this box with old tin looks!

I wish modern handmade chocolate were sold in such beautiful boxes that were in the old days!

But it is impossible now, unprofitable, but very beautiful!

Old boxes for chocolate is now a rare thing, even surprising how they survived, they are made of cardboard.