How to Tone Polymer Clay Doll with Dry Pastel

Toning a doll`s face of baked polymer clay before baking.

You will need the following materials and tools:

• sculpted, but not baked doll head of polymer clay;
  • dry pastel (brown, white, red);
  • synthetic brushes (different shapes and sizes);
  • wet napkin;
  • white palette (a sheet of paper or a plastic plate).

Steps of work:

Before working with raw baked plastic, be sure to wash your hands and dust off your desk and tools.

1. The first stage is the application of shadows in recesses. With the help of a synthetic brush of medium hardness, apply dry brown pastel to all the grooves on the face of the doll. I usually mix a few shades of pastels. To do this, rub them on the palette and mix the resulting powder with a brush. Dark pastel should be applied to the crease above the upper eyelid, in the crease between the upper and lower lip, in the corners of the mouth, in the nostrils and in the ear shell. Lighter tone can be added under the lower eyelid, the lower lip, the ears. If the doll has a thin face, you can highlight the area under the cheekbones, temples.

2. The second layer of pastel is red or pink. It's blush. I also mixed a few shades of pastels, selecting the most matching tone. I also work with a synthetic brush, but more soft and fluffy. Blush should be applied to the apples of the cheeks, on the lips. Sometimes I highlight a slight blush chin, nose, forehead and earlobes.

3. The third stage is the removal of excess pastels. For a face to be gentle and natural, all the excess pigment is removed with a damp cloth. Movement needs to be confident, but not too strong, so as not to damage the sculpture of the face.

4. Bake the face according to the instructions on the packaging of your clay.