By Walid: Love for Fabric as a Piece of Art

Passion for unusual fabrics, fabrics with history and unusual texture. I have a hobby — old lace and scraps of Japanese fabrics attract me. Sometimes I sort them out, get inspired, dream to sew something unusual... And again clean. I do not have like-minded people around — everyone loves brand new fabrics by famous brands, which I also love — I basically love everything that can be made from any thread.

But when you see that the same obsession with scraps from other people achieves world recognition, it inspires, impresses and infinitely pleases.

I would like to tell you about this brand — By Walid, but there is nothing special to tell — there is very little information about it, there is no at all, except that there is Joseph Walid al-Damirji, a former creative director of the English brand Joseph and co-owner of the iconic London bakery and confectionery Cocomaya. This British-Iraqi designer, who gathered a large collection of rare fabrics, of which in 2011 began to sew extremely atmospheric handmade things.

The designer works by hand with such natural materials as 19th century silk, furs, leather, cotton, vintage linen and Indian silk. All of them are purchased at prestigious auctions around the world. Each season, the By Walid brand produces a collection based on silk jackets, textured bombers made of Indian silk and linen coats with a stand-up collar.

His belief is that each outfit should tell a unique story.

Fun fact: By Walid is created in a small studio on the site of a residential house with a stable of 19th century.

That's all what you can read about it. But I personally do not need to read — I see passion. This passion fills me with the desire to create.

What I see in the works by By Walid — Indian and Japanese silk and hand stitch. Precisely manual, which in India is called kantha, and in Japan — boro. Raw edges and threads sticking out. Exactly what makes a thing unique.

There are photos for pleasure