Dior Declares his Love for England: Christian Dior Retrospective Exhibition Opened in London

On 2 February, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London opened a unique retrospective exhibition "Christian Dior: Designer of Dreams". The exhibition illustrates the full history of the fashion house: from the first collection of New Look, presented in 1947, to modern ideas and models on catwalks and red carpets.

The history of Dior fashion house in designers and silhouettes

In total, the exhibition has more than 500 exhibits. The first hall tells the biography of Christian Dior through archival photos and records. Seven more halls demonstrate the development of the Dior Fashion House under the leadership of outstanding designers of the time: Dior himself, Yves Saint Laurent, Mark Boan, Gianfranco Ferré, John Galliano, Raf Simons and Maria Grazia Chiuri, a current creative director.

One of the most interesting solutions of the exhibition is the placement of dresses by colors:

Best by Dior: sketches, dresses and perfume

The exhibition allows the viewer to look into the Holy of holies — in the master's Studio. Archival photos, sketches made by hand of Dior, the first outline of future dresses on mannequins... Looking at this, you begin to understand how magic happens:

Vintage vials of Dior perfume, the beauty of which leaves you speechless! On the right — Diorling bottle (1963), on the left — an exclusive version of the first Miss Dior perfume in a blue crystal bottle (1947):

Dior dresses retrospective is an amazing demonstration of how different designers interpreted the traditions and heritage of the fashion house.

Christian Dior, autumn-winter collection 1955:

Christian Dior, autumn-winter 1954:

Christian Dior, spring-summer 1947:

Christian Dior, autumn-winter 1954:

Christian Dior, spring-summer 1955:

John Galliano for Christian Dior, autumn-winter 2004:

John Galliano for Christian Dior, a dress created specifically for Charlize Theron for J'adore perfume commercial:

Maria Grazia Chiuri for Christian Dior, spring-summer 2018:

Dress for a British Princess, or "England, I love you!"

"There is no other country in the world but my native France, which way of life I love so much. I love English traditions, English politeness, English architecture. I even love English cuisine," the great fashion designer said about Great Britain. Christian Dior had a huge impact on the formation of fashion in post-war England: lush, feminine silhouettes of New Look dresses were a real revelation for the British, tired of the deficit and limitations of wartime.

Princess Margaret, a sister of Queen Elizabeth II, played a huge role in popularization of the new silhouette. From Dior's autobiography, it became known that in 1950 the designer was even invited to the French Embassy for an exclusive demonstration of his collection for the Princess and the Queen Mother.

In the history of the British Royal family, Dior entered as the creator of a stunning dress that Princess Margaret chose for a party in honor of her 21st birthday. Isn`t it a love confession to a great couturier?
This airy outfit with feminine embroidery became the central exhibit of the exhibition:

The exhibition will work until July 14, 2019.