What is Zero Waste. Or How to Live without Waste

In recent years, such thing as Zero Waste is getting popular in Europe.

Zero Waste is a concept, the main idea of which is to reduce the amount of garbage produced by us through the use of reusable items and things. So popular thing in Europe as eco-direction is not yet very common in Russia, however, we all lived by its principles before.

The whole concept of Zero Waste consists of five simple rules formulated by Bea Johnson, a famous Zero Waste activist. These are the so-called 5R rules that we all know well from the past:

1. Refuse
  2. Reduce
  3. Reuse+Repair
  4. Recycle
  5. Rot

For many European people, Zero Waste has become a way of life. On the Internet, you can find a lot of blogs in which the followers of this system tell and show how you can live without waste or minimize them.

I offer a selection of what you can buy no longer, and make with your own hands, using the existing materials, that is, to resort to Upcycling.

It seems that just a few years ago we were glad that we had plastic bags. That it is no longer necessary to wash and dry them to use again. I remember how one of my friends in the early 1990's visited Germany and enthusiastically told me that there could be free to buy bags in any store in fruit and vegetable department... Today we do not know how to escape from them. The alternative is very simple... Textile bags for bread, cereals, fruits and vegetables when we go shopping.

For such bags, we can use, for example, old curtains, tulle..

By the way, in GDR people went to the bakery with their own textile bags.

And such "containers" can be used to store food at home.

That's how you can pack your snack, a sandwich or something else.

Alternative to cotton pads. Naturally, after using them, they are not thrown away, but washed and used again.

Reusable feminine hygiene products.

"Washcloths" for daily hygiene can also be sewn by yourself. The Germans hang them near the sink in the bathroom. Everyone has their own family members. Wetted with warm water, it is used for hygienic procedures when not taking shower.

Reusable diapers.

Let's go back to the kitchen. Knitted kitchen towels.

Knitted cloths for washing dishes.

"Lids" for dishes for those who refused plastic containers with plastic lids.

Cake carrier.

Wax textile napkins are used instead of packages, foil, plastic packaging. They are quite easy to do. They take any form well. They can store any products. You can store them everywhere: in the closet, in the refrigerator, in the freezer. They are easy to clean, wiping with a damp cloth. In addition, they can be used for a long time.

And finally some ideas of wrapping presents without wrapping paper.