More than Crocheting

Agata Oleksiak, a Polish artist and activist, became famous because of her grand works made with a crochet hook. Agata's art explores sexuality, feminist ideals, and evolution of communication through color. Bright colors in crocheting often hide political and cultural criticism crocheted into the fibers of her installations. It emphasizes what already exists in the environment today. As an active advocate of women's rights, sexual equality and freedom of expression, Agata has made an extensive use of her work to demonstrate her solidarity with those held back by repressive laws around the world.

Some of Agata's works are striking in their scale. She has crocheted over a London cab, locomotive and even the whole house. Stories that she tells with the help of simple devices (crochet hook and colored yarn) are amazing, can do nothing but attract your attention. Everything she does is not only unusual performance, but also an active life position.

Crochet Mermaid Skeleton

"Magic City" in Dresden

Crocheting for Agata is something more than just a hobby. By her example, she showed that a real artist can turn any hobby into art.

Installation "Our Pink House"

This is a joint work by Agata Oleksiak and refugee women from Syria and Ukraine.

"Pink house is not just an art installation, but a symbol of bright future filled with hope. Everyone should have a home."

The house is located in Kerava (Finland), it is covered with more than 100,000 meters of pink yarn. During three-weeks period of creating the Pink house, the refugees received a minimum wage.

"It's a way to empower women — to give them jobs and money," explains Oleksiak. "I want to show the world that these people can rebuild their lives."

The process was not easy: one square meter of yarn could take up to 11 hours. The finished parts were then connected on the outside of the structure.

"We live in difficult times, in a changing world filled with conflicts, wars and natural disasters. But I like to think, it's also a world filled with love."

In 2013, the artist pleased the residents of the Polish city of Lodz with her crocheting. There was an old steam locomotive with cars on the central square, especially for which Agata with a team of her assistants crocheted bright colored camouflage. Beautiful art-project attracted a lot of attention, not only residents of Lodz wanted to take a photo with an unusual locomotive, but also guests from other cities and even countries.

"My work is an endless crochet journey, decorated with emotions, memories, experiences, thoughts and ideas. I am a visual artist and I chose crocheting my language. All the answers to your questions you can find in my works."