How to Make Tassels for Earrings from Threads

Silk tassels for earrings are incredibly feminine, elegant and modern. But to make them, you have to do a lot.

Today we will automate the process and learn how to wind the thread for tassels quickly, using a sewing machine (can be used a screwdriver, drill and any other tool that has scrolling function — for winding). It's extremely simple.

Ready? Go!

We will need:

• glue gun;
  • 2 plastic cards;
  • knife;
  • scissors for cutting;
  • hollow basis (it can be a pen, a felt-tip pen, any dense tube). Its diameter should fit tightly on the base of the sewing machine bobbin (see below).
  • threads (they can be silk, viscose, kapron, nylon, polyester, any thread with interesting texture). I will use threads: 1) "Aurora" embroidery threads; 2) "Doli"; 3) "KNS" (full analogue of "Doli").

Thick tube should fit on this base of sewing machine bobbin:

Just like this:

Cut the base to about 8-9 cm long:

Make a long cut along the tube in the center to insert the cards. It may be difficult physically, you may need man`s assistance:

• Fasten plastic cards between them with a small indentation (in this form, as I have, the length of tassels is about 8 cm. If you need a shorter tassel, you can use one card, its width is enough for a 7 cm tassel);
  • Cut the ends of cards, so that the thread is fixed well on them and does not move;
  • Insert the cards (they can be glued together) into the long section of the tube:

Prepare the glue gun and densely fill the place of fastening of the bases and cards:

While our glue dries, I took an old construction and put it on the base. Our construction looks like this.
Attention! The construction should sit tightly, if the density is not enough, wrap the base of the bobbin with thread (make it thicker) and put the construction on top:

Start winding.

• Speed is better to put to the minimum.
  • Prepare threads (I have "Doli", "Aurora" and "KNS")
  • Move the bobbin base to the working position, for it to spin.

Note the stopwatch (for tassels to be of the same density).

• medium thick tassel — 1.5 minutes;
  • thick tassel — 2.5-3.5 minutes.

Hold the thread exactly, so that the thread does not spin around the base. I was in a hurry. There is no need to hurry!

So, you get something like that or even neater than I have if you do everything slowly and gently.
The threads can be tied at this stage, it is more convenient for me to cut the winding on one side in the center and tie it in the center on the table.

Tightly tie the base. Quality is everything here!

I took 3 kinds of threads, so you can see how they behave in the process.

• "Aurora" embroidery threads;
  • "Doli" threads;
  • "KNS" threads (full Doli analog).

Then you can use a pin, or not.
Pull the pin from the bottom through the center and take it out from the center of the other side of the winding.
This is the hardest part for me.

Tie the tassels (with threads of the same or different color, you can use beads or pedants, choose any option you like):

Hide the tip of the winding inside through the winding:

Greetings! We have already finished!
Iron the tassels. I use a steam generator, it does everything quickly, straightening tassels took me less than a minute.

For smooth trimming, I use Dewal hairdressing scissors, they make smooth edges. Tailor scissors (even perfectly sharpened) do not make such an edge, therefore I use hairdressing scissors!

Preparing for cutting. For someone, it is convenient to wrap the tassel in a paper tube and to trim it there, but I prefer to do it on weight.
Choose the best length and cut the tassel slowly and carefully:

Our tassels are ready.
I wound "Doli" threads for 1 minute, so the brush is not thick.
I wound threads "Aurora" and "KNS" for 2 minutes, they are thicker.

That's it! I have described the method as the basis, this method can be modified and adjusted to suit you, using the tools that you have available.

Some tricks for tassels earrings:

- you can sprinkle it with hair spray for them to keep shape and not fluff up;

- it is better to wrap it in a paper tube to prepare for delivery to a customer.

And finally, here are some ideas: