Making a Cute Brooch «Elephant in Love»

A small tutorial on how to make a cute wooden brooch at home.
First, we need a template for brooches, as I cannot draw well, the template will be very simple.
To do this, we need a compass, pencil and thick paper.

Take a compass and draw a circle, in my case, the circle turned out with a diameter of 40 mm, if desired, you can either reduce or increase it, the process itself will not be affected.

When the circle is ready draw elephant's feet and eyes.

Cut out the template, take a wooden blank and encircle the template with a pencil.
Mark the eyes place and pin on a blank with an awl.
In this case, I took a board of African wenge tree, you can take any at hand... better not coniferous.

To make it easier to cut the wood, drill holes in places where the elephant's legs are adjacent to the body.
You can immediately cut with a jigsaw.

Then take a brass or copper nail, measure its thickness and drill a hole for the eye.
You can use wire instead of the naul.

When the hole is ready, glue the nail and drive it into the hole with a hammer.

Remove everything extra with nippers.

Next, take the jigsaw and cut out the elephant blank.

After that, we start grinding, it is simple, but tedious.

We start with 80-sandpaper and gradually move to a smaller grain: 100-120-150-180-220.

After the surface of the elephant is smooth and even, take small pieces of sandpaper and round the edges, just as with the previous grinding process first coarse sandpaper, then move on to a smaller.

Next, polish the blank with sanding sponge until the surface is shiny and glossy.

After that, finish polishing the blank on a felt circle.

Elephant is ready, now make the ear.

For the ear, it is better to take a contrasting color of the tree, in my case it is an African paduk.
Make a small template and transfer it to the board.

Then, cut out the blank.

The blank is 5 mm, so grind it on sandpaper to 1-2 mm thick.

Then, follow the same steps as with the main blank, round the edges, sand with sponges and polish on a felt circle.

Glue the elephant ear.
Here you need to be careful, the part is small and you should work carefully.

The elephant is almost ready.
Cover it with oil. I used linen from the art store, it is cleaned and has no specific smell.

When oil got polymerized, place a pin on a brooch.

You can glue it with a glue gun, but I attach it to the screws.

Once we have attached the pin, the brooch is ready to use.