How to Sew a Fabric Pencil Case for Pencils, Pens, Brushes, Knitting Needles

I would like to present you a tutorial on sewing a necessary, economic and creative fabric pencil box!

You will need the following materials:

• cotton for the top (primary) and inner parts;
  • hard wooven interfacing (for the top layer);
  • iron-on (for other parts);
  • Velcro;
  • elastic.

Details: 2 parts (main-top/bottom) — 33.5/23.5 cm — from the base and inner material;

2 parts (place for pencils) — 33,5/10,5 cm — from the base and inner material;

2 parts (top flap) — 32/8 cm — from the base and inner material;

1 part (flap-closure) — 20/8 cm — from the base material or 2 details of 10/8 cm;

2 pieces (for top/bottom) of Velcro — 4-5 cm;

2 strips of elastic — 34 cm.

Size all the details: upper main part with wooven interfacing, the rest with an iron-on (I have black iron-on for dark fabric and white for light).

Put one part on another 33,5/10,5 cm with its front sides inside and join them together on the long side, using the machine.

Put one part on another 32/8 cm front sides inside, fix them with pins and, using any round outline, round the two corners on the long sides. Make stitches, joining two parts.

On the front of the part 20/8 cm mark the middle, backslide 1 cm and sew a hard Velcro part (4-5 cm) on the machine. Then, fold this part in half, face inside, and make stitches on the long sides.

Evert the details and iron them.

On the face of two smaller parts make finish lines (you may skip this).

Lay out part 33,5/10,5 cm (I use a sharp piece of soap on the black material): the long side skipping 3/3,5 cm and two perpendicular lines (parallel to the top).

Fasten it along the bottom long edge of the inner part (of 33.5/23.5 cm) with pins or tack them together.

Make stitches, starting with the upper left edge, putting the elastic in the seam (do not forget to make fixings on them) as at the end of each line.

Fix the flap to the top edge of this part and sew them together.

Apply flap clasp to the left edge (Velcro down) and sew in.

Fold the main part 33.5 / 23.5 with the wrong side with inside of the finished inner part, twist the pencil case or fold it in two/three/four parts (the way you want it to be in the end).

Plan the place for the second (soft) Velcro part on the front side of the main part (for clarity, I marked the place with red).

And sew it to the right place on the top part with the machine.

Next, join two main parts front parts inside, fasten them with pins or tack in,

and make stitches on the edge, do not forget to leave room for turning (the place I marked with blue is the best),

cut the corners close to the edge.

Turn out and iron.

Sew up the hole through which you turned out the pencil case, make blind stitches and lay finish line on the edge or skip this step.
Because of the wooven interfacing on the top, the pencil case holds its shape perfectly (top photo).

And our pencil case is ready to perform its duties.