Making Handkerchiefs with Tatting Lace

Let's begin.

I found out about tatting lace in 2006 and, to tell the truth, I did not like the look of this needlework. Some complex knots, all crooked and curved.

But when I learned the basics, understand the technique, it became better and better.

Now I would like to write about the binding of handkerchiefs with tatting lace.

By the way, one of my first works was a handkerchief braided with tatting lace based on the book by Lin Morton. I was not really good at first.

5 years later, being on maternity leave and not knowing what to do, I began to decorate handkerchiefs, but using a Japanese book. It was getting better, but still was sloppy.

Now I think time has come to make it beautifully, carefully and efficiently.

For handkerchiefs, take white cotton fabric (batiste).

Cut out square 24*24cm, or 26*26cm, or 30*30 as you like.

These are the handkerchiefs.

Fold the edge of the fabric on 3-4 mm and press it with a finger nail.

Then, fold the edge of our handkerchief once again.

Make temporary stitches to fix the fabric.

And that's what we get.

Now you need to make blind seams to make it nice and neat. We'll start with the corners.

Unfold the corner of the handkerchief, release 2 cm from the threads from each side.

Now fold the sides as the were sewn, and pull out the angle .

Cut the corner.

Using a needle, make a beautiful corner.

Make blind seams on the corner and sides of the handkerchief.

Making blind seams by hand requires precision and accuracy. It is necessary to work in one thread, using a thin manual needle. It is important not only to make the stitch, but also the result — perfect look of the work. Blind seams, performed with their your hands to join two elements together, are used when you need to repair something carefully.

Grab 1-2 threads of fabric and pass the needle through.

Then, pass the needle 3-5 mm through fold the edges (inside) and take out.

Then again, take 1-2 fabric threads and pass the needle through, then pass the needle 3-5 mm through from inside where it is folded and take the needle out, repeat it until the entire handkerchief is finished.

I have decided to take the simplest pattern of tatting lace:

Ring: 5 double loops, Picot, 3 double loops, Picot, 2 double loops, Picot, 2 double loops, Picot, 3 double loops, Picot, 5 double loops.

Arc: 5 double loops, Picot, 5 double loops.

3 rings on the edge: 5 double loops, Picot, 3 double loops, Picot, 2 double loops, Picot, 2 double loops, Picot, 3 double loops, Picot, 5 double loops.

We place the lace, taking into consideration a ready handkerchief.

It is more convenient to weave 10-20 cm of lace and sew it with a blind seam to the handkerchief.

Pass the needle through the fold and put it in the arc.

Then, using a blind seam, pass the needle through the fold to the ring on the edge.

Finish sewing the lace to the handkerchief with the blind, fixing it by the arcs.

That's the result. You need to iron it and put in a handbag.