How to Take a Picture of High Quality: Part 1

A big number of articles written about what you need to do to promote your online store: write blogs, add works to your collection, but the basic or foundation of your online shop is, of course, the design of it and high-quality photos that will attract your potential customers. We have gradually come to the topic of today's article. Yes, that's right: we will analyze secrets of how to take a good photo. In Part 1, I will talk about 3 crucial points: lighting, location, equipment. Part 2 will be devoted to no less important things. After studying all these points in detail, you will learn how to take amazing pictures. So, let's start...

1) LIGHTING

The main secret of high-quality photos is the lighting. This is the first thing you have to deal with.
Lighting can be divided into 2 types:
1) natural;
2) artificial.
You are to understand that it is impossible to combine both types, so you will have to decide which type you will use.
Now we will look at everything in details.
(a) Natural light.
Natural light is a daylight, and it should not to be sunlight.The perfect option is a cloudy sky.
Direct sunlight should be avoided as it gives too deep shadows (including from the window), sharp difference of bright light. This, of course, will ruin your shot.

Lack of light is also bad for the quality of the photo, as the camera cannot focus, and the picture will be blurred.

It is vital to know these things in order not to have defects in the picture of your goods.
However, this knowledge is not enough. Let me give you an example. You have finally managed to find a place with the right lighting, but your photos are still not bright enough, you may see shadows in your shot. What should you do? What's wrong? The thing is that you need a reflecting screen, it may help in your difficult task. Moreover, you do not need to buy it, you can find a reflector at home or make it with your own hands. You can use a white sheet of paper, but foil is much better. Make a reflector with your own hands.

So, you need 20 minutes, and also, glue, foil, and cardboard.

Glue the foil to a thick cardboard. It should look like this:

Next, attach the reflector with glue or ordinary plasticine to the lid of a small box. You may have a question: "Why?". In fact, a gradually openning lid allows you to change the angle of reflection until you find the best one.

To take a good picture, two reflectors are enough, but you can have more (it is up to you).
Let`s now have a look at the pictures. The first picture was taken without a reflector, and the second with.

What can we see? The shadows are gone, and the picture became more vivid and saturated.
To sum up. The advantages of natural lighting are the following:

1) accurate color transmission;
2) clear and vivid picture;
3) doesn`t cost you anything.
Are there any disadvantages? Of course, but not so many:
1) you can take a picture only during daytime;
2) it takes much time to find the right place with enough/not too much light.
b) Artificial lighting.
Artificial lighting is the light that table lamps, lamps, chandeliers and other lighting devices produce.

Some of you may say: "Oh, it is easy then. We just need to take a picture next to the lamp." No, never do that. One table lamp is not enough for a good picture. You will have to buy at least 3 (for good lighting). The use of one lamp will ruin your photo. That is what you get:

Another option is to buy a led ring light (you could have seen it in some blogs). I should say that it is not so cheap. If you choose artificial lighting, you still need reflectors.

Let's sum up. Advantages of artificial lighting:

1) you can take pictures at any time of the day.

But, unfortunately, there are more disadvantages:

1) expensive;

2) inaccurate color transmission.

I think I have written everything about the lighting. Now you choose.

1) Natural lighting.

2) Artificial lighting (using one lamp).

2) PLACE
We have come to the second point, the place. Where to take your photos? Well, it all depends on the type of lighting (that is why it was the fisrt point).
Actually, everything is quite simple. If you choose natural type of lighting, you need to take pictures near the window. Let it be a window or some table located next to the window (it should be sufficiently lit).
If your choice is artificial lighting, then it is even easier. You can take pictures anywhere. It can be a sofa, table or floor. The main thing is to have a socket near. By the way, this is another advantage of artificial lighting.

3) EQUIPMENT

Now, I will try to answer the most popular question: What should I use to take pictures of my goods?
Of course, the best option is a reflex camera. It allows you to take high-quality pictures, providing a lot of opportunities, different effects.

However, it is possible to take a great picture with a P&S camera. What`s more, a good picture can be taken with your phone. Just pay attention to MP. Generally speaking, there are many articles about a good smartphone camera on the Internet, so I will not dwell on this in details. I will only say that my phone has 13 MP, and the pictures are really cool.

Other equipment

I should say that it is better to buy a tripod. With it, you can reduce the risk of getting a blurry photo. After all, the hand can tremble in the crucial moment, and the tripod will prevent it. However, buying a tripod is optional. It is your choice.

So, this is the end of Part 1. Today we have learned everything about lighting, choosing a place to take a photo, and various equipment. If you like the article, Part 2 dedicated to a few more points - the photo background, creation of the composition - will be available soon.