Smartphone or Reflex Camera?

I had a debate with my collegues about what is better to take pictures with: a smartphone, or a reflex camera. We have finally come to a conclusion that you should know how to use both.

However, I decided to conduct a little experiment with what I had at hand. I've only taken a few shots with three different devices, and now we will have a look at the results. Just to note, I am aware of the fundamental difference between taking pictures with a reflex camera and a smartphone, I just want to highlight the pros and cons of both ways. Hence, to spell out the information and help everyone to make a choice and answer the eternal question: what is better?

For the fist shot I used Samsung Galaxy S9, in "selective focus" mode. The camera is 12 MP, but pixels are not that important as additional technologies used in this or that camera are much more crucial. The S9, for example, has a variable aperture, giving a cool change in depth of field, the effect of "bokeh" is easier, it gives a beautiful blur. I would like to note that most modern smartphones do not have camera less than 12 MP, and sometimes even 16 MP! Having looked through the settings, I found a set of interesting additional options.

That is what we see:

• excellent image clarity;
  • automatic adjustment of the lens to the light conditions (you do not even have to turn on the "Pro" mode), though I would add brightness and something else;
  • the photo was beautifully blurred.

The second shot was made with iPhone 7 Plus, in "portrait" mode, the camera has the same 12 MP, but again with excellent aperture characteristics.

We may see the following:

• excellent image clarity;
  • the portrait mode of beautiful blur required me to distance myself a bit, but still, I didn't even have to get up from my chair to take this photo;
  • very good bokeh;
  • not enough of brightness, but as with the first photo, I like a general tone of photo taken in the shade.

The third shot was taken with a simple Canon EOS 750D Kit 18-135 IS STM with Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 67mm.

In my humble opinion, to buy a reflex camera not to use the M mode (options that are fully customized manually) makes no sense. Auto mode it is not interesting: you will not be able to change the image for yourself, adjust the light, aperture, but in the end, there is no creativity! It is impossible to understand what is with light without a trial photo.

That is what we see:

• the shot is too dark, you need to add light, change the settings;
  • I had to stand up and step a couple of steps back in order for screwed diaphragm to have maximum blur effect.

I changed the settings, but did not see big difference between two previous photos.

We can see the following:

• excellent image sharpness;
  • there is a blur effect;
  • it is inconvenient to step aside from the table with a heavy camera;
  • however, after professional editing of this photo, I will have better source and therefore, will have a picture of a better quality.

I love my reflex camera, but sometimes I am so lazy to get it to take pictures that I can easily take with my smartphones. For this shot, (if to manage it on my own and call nobody for help — to go further, to twist a little more) it, unfortunately, could not make anything interesting.

Samsung made at least some blur (top right). Well, I agree that it's hard to take as an advantage. But still, I like the photo more — it looks more professional and deeper in this particular case.

Finally, by the way, as for, the depth and saturation of the photos:

Probably, the smartphone will not be able to take such a stunning shot. I did not have time to check - the model flew away :)

In conclusion, I would like to say that you should start small. Pick up your smartphone, which you use every day, search the brand and model and read reviews: what can it do? What additional settings and features are available? Find good light, explore the settings, use the options. And, probably, you will not need a professional camera.

Well, if you really want - get ready for difficulties, you will have to think instead of your smartphone. However, the possibilities are truly endless!