Process of Creating a Fireplace Imitation for New Year

I decided to make my room more cozy by New Year 2017. And in the center of my perfect picture there was a fireplace. Thoughts instantly appeared in my head, and the fireplace took me 3 hours, as I used white glue, and it needed to be dried between stages.
So, I took a large piece of corrugated cardboard — it was the package from a crib. Ideally, it must be a TV box, because it's already a perfectly cut and glued skeleton of a fireplace, you just need to cut a hole. It was decided to install a fireplace horizontally, I checked all the edges and made a hole in the center, then bent up the edges.

I separately carved out the side walls and secured them with masking tape.

Then I glued the shelf on the fireplace. It must stood a little outside the perimeter of the upper surface. It is not convenient to cut corrugated cardboard with scissors, so I made a mistake in one place, and more or less compensated it with tape. It is better if someone with a solid and strong arm will help you, but maybe you cut well by yourself.

Then I glued the moldings, be careful with the connection of the parts, practice on small pieces, not to spoil the material. Moldings were glued with a glue gun.

Then I corrected the size of the duct tape, removed the protruding pieces and painted. The paint was white, standard acrylic, but it was water based and soaked the cardboard and grooves emerged stronger, that upset me. After drying, it looked more or less good. However, don't be afraid of it, in the photo it is not visible from afar. The photo below shows the painting after the first coat, the next day I made the second layer.

And yet, as it often happens, I didn't notice that I had not connected the moldings with corners, they could have looked better. Well, the fireplace is ready, you can load it with all the Christmas trifle.

In spring I painted the fireplace in a beige-pink color, it looked like the option for Easter. Here you can see the waves on the cardboard.

The following year, the fireplace was also handy.

In next tutorial I will talk about the creation of a Christmas tree in the eco style.