Fairy Houses by David Winter
  • Category: Ideas & Inspiration
  • Practices: Ceramics

Collecting is an amazing hobby. It is one of the most popular hobbies all over the world. You can collect anything: from labels to the last Bentleys.

The British are passionate collectors. Apparently it is a national tradition. They collect various things! They collect antiques, porcelain figurines, stamps, labels, rare books, coins, paintings, objects of art and antiquities, teddy bears, dolls, postcards... The list is endless.

On television there are daily interesting programs about "treasure hunting", the experts assess rare, interesting things, tell stories. People compete in finding and selling of rarities. For example, there is the "Treasures in Your Attic" show.

Miniature copies of real existing buildings are very popular. The "Lilliput Lane", the company of which was founded by David Tate in 1982, is known to many collectors. I want to talk about the famous English sculptor David Winter.

David Winter was born in 1958 in Catterick, Yorkshire, England. David built his first house in 1979 and quickly became popular. His small, very realistic cottages, churches, castles quickly became popular. Some of them were very rare. David's miniature houses were especially loved in America. In the 1990s his Collectors Guild had more than 200,000 participants.

At the beginning of his career he sold houses for about 10 pounds. In the late 1980–1990s, the collection of 146 houses was sold for about $200,000.

The production stopped in 2002 or 2003. And although the enormous David Winter's popularity remained in the past, his houses are still loved by collectors.

In anticipation of New Year I offer you to admire his "Christmas Series".

Did you enjoy these wonderful winter houses? Like and share your impressions.

I wish you smiles and inspiration! :)

With love, Olga Manuilenkova.