How to Make a Book Pincushion with an Embroidered Gingerbread House

In this tutorial, I'll tell you how to add an embroidered gingerbread house to a book pincushion which is useful for all needlewomen.

Materials needed:

Let's start with the embroidery. First it needs to be strengthened on the reverse side. To do this, cut interlining with an adhesive base of the desired size and iron it neatly. It is better to put a piece of paper on the interlining beacuse it can accidentally stick to a hot iron.

Ready, the embroidery is strengthened. Now we have to mark the contours of our future book. To do this, retreat 2-3 mm from the edges of the embroidery and baste the future border with a thread. Do this with both pieces of the embroidery. Then sew both parts of the embroidery together.

Now fold the embroidery according to the marked border, while carefully aligning the corners (cut the excess fabric to make the corners neater). Then baste the bends for fixing and remove extra threads which outlined the borders.

Now proceed to the inner part of our future book — a felt insert. Put the embroidery on felt and carefully, without touching the embroidery, outline it. Remove the embroidery, cut out the resulting pattern of the inner part.

Now make a side pocket on our insert (where you can store a needle threader and other useful things). Cut a square of felt, sew it to the main part. You can also make extra inserts of felt by sewing parallel thin strips of felt.

Once the inner part of our book is ready, place neodymium magnets on the external (reverse) side (when you do this, be sure to make the correct polarity of the magnets), glue them on, let them dry.

After that, sew our felt panel to the embroidery in any convenient way (on a sewing machine or by hand). You can slightly pre-fix the felt panel with glue. You can optionally put a few drops of glue near the magnets, thereby they will be better fixed.

Well, our book pincushion is ready. Hope you enjoyed my tutorial :) I wish you all success :)