DIY Winter Angels

On the eve of New Year and Christmas I want to share with you a simple way to create an atmospheric art doll — a Winter Angel.
The idea came to me spontaneously, when I got empty cones from threads. But such a cone can be easily made of cardboard, you can buy a foam cone at a craft store.
For the head I used Darwi Roc, it is self-hardening clay, but any durable self-hardening mass or baking plastic will be ok. I didn't make photos of the creation of a head, but I think everything is clear: sculpt a ball with a leg (a neck) with a size suitable to our cone. Press the eye sockets and attach a nose. My heads look like the sculptures of Easter island. They look too primitive, but in the overall picture they look good. You can make the face more elegant, you can paint it, I decided to do without it. I think my method will be great for those who are not yet ready for sculptural delights.

First I show the finished photos, so as not to scare you :)

You also need fabrics for the angels — to your taste. I had crops of designer fabrics which I don't use in my main work, but (of course) I store them, since they've got to my paws. So my angels are fashionable hipsters. Burlap and synthetic are fine, the main thing — the compatibility of materials and attractive appearance.

Wool, fur, synthetic hair are also useful for frozen curl hair, maybe it will be hemp or something natural, even moss. For the arms and the wings you need rope and cardboard. Glue, scissors and thread. That's all. You can start.

Step 1. The head (dried or baked) is glued to the cone.

Step 2. Cone is wrapped and glued with fabric (or other material, you can wrap with threads). If you cut a cone out of cardboard, you can just outline it on fabric to cut for glueing.

Step 3. Take a rope and measure the length of the hands. Hands are a rocker slung over the shoulders. You can make them individual, but this complicates the process, because I have them securely masked with a large scarf on the neck of the angel, no ugliness is visible.
Cut a slightly longer piece of rope than necessary, just 5 mm (this 5 mm are for the thickness of the sleeve).

Step 4. Smear the ends of the rope with glue and "seal" them, twisting with your fingers. (Take a glue that is easily removed from hands — white glue, but in any case do not use superglue). The photo shows the difference between the "sealed" end from the "unsealed".

Step 5. Wrap the rope in your hands with a strip of cloth to make sleeves. Leave 1 cm of rope at each end.

Step 6. Glue the hands to the cone like a rocker.

Step 7. Prepare the hair: I had different materials — wool and synthetic braids which I unbraided. Choose the length. To do this, measure the distance from the place where you've glued the hands to the neck to the top and add 2-3 cm, and then multiply by 2.

Step 8. Tie the hair in the middle with threads as tightly as possible.

Step 9. Put a pound of hair in half and glue to the back of the neck and the head, generously smear the head and the back of the neck with glue in advance. The threads should be at the bottom, touching the hands. Press well to thoroughly glue everything. At first it looks weird, but the scarf will put everything into place, I promise!

Step 10. Wrap the neck with a scarf of a suitable material. It is necessary to wrap it tightly in several layers. And glue the upper end of the scarf so it does not go off under any circumstances. You can secure it with thread.
And now, our scary statue has become a fashionable handsome dandy.

Step 11. Add the wings! Glue a piece of fabric with a size of the wings on a piece of cardboard.

Step 12. Glue a piece of fabric with the same size or a piece of paper with your greetings on the reverse side.

Step 13. Cut out the wings using a pattern (downloaded and printed) or by eye, as you wish. And glue them on the back of the angel, below the scarf.

Well, that's all!

Let's fly to celebrate Christmas and New Year!