Norwegian Painter Gunnar Berg — a Singer of the Lofoten Islands

Gunnar Berg (1863–1893) is a Norwegian artist from the Lofoten Islands, a representative of Düsseldorf school of painting. A native of the city of Svolvær, he studied in Bergen, then at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf. Later he lived and worked in Düsseldorf and Berlin. But almost every year Berg visited the Lofoten Islands. There was his native town, where the sea beat against the rocks, where the fishermen fought with the elements, there was aurora, out there, in the harsh, kind of bleak and snowy area, Berg, apparently, kept his heart.

Now, at the beginning of winter, when we often want warmth and hot cocoa, with a bit of cunning I offer you a portion of this Norwegian cold, harsh labour of the fishermen and the beauty of the rocky fjords instead of the Danish hygge. I have admired these paintings for a long time, and now I've decided to share my finding. I hope the amazing atmosphere of the Norwegian scenery will find its admirers, especially because in these works there is no attempt to show the world of the Lofoten Islands more perfect than it is. Just the admiration of a native cold area. I beg to love and favor, Gunnar Berg, a painter, in love with the North.

I hope it was interesting :)