How to Make Insect Wings of Liquid Plastic

This is my first tutorial, please do not shoot me down with flames
I have seen many ways of making wings of liquid plastic. But most of them, or rather all of them are not suitable for miniature products. They are too voluminous, heavy, rough. For example, I want to make an airy and light butterfly and I want my beetle to have peeking transparent lockers and not something similar to them. And the wings must be solid. The idea came quickly, the first experiment went well, pleased with the result. I hope you will like it, and the idea will come in handy. It seems to me that the technology of baking fabric in liquid plastic is not new. And all the rest are my ideas, which I will gladly share with you.

The materials needed:

I draw on paper the wings of the desired size and shape. To make it clearly visible through the fabric, I outline it with a dark marker, or draw bolder with a pencil. Put it under glass.

Cut out of fabric (organza or voile) a piece with a size for two wings and with a small margin on all sides. The fabric must be voile or organza.They are quite stiff, not floppy and do not deform by temperature during baking. You can choose the color according to your idea.

Put the fabric on the glass, on the drawing.

Pour gel on the fabric so that it is soaked wet. It is necessary to smear the section of the pattern with a small margin (circled in the photo below, because everything is transparent and not visible). Don't forget to do that for two wings. Smear the gel with a brush or a finger, so that the fabric is tight against the glass. Remove air bubbles if any.

Take a small piece of thread and with a thin brush spread it along the contour of the wings. If the fabric is dry and the thread does not stick, add more gel. You must use cotton thread. I tried silk and synthetics. They are thin, more striking, without hairs. But the trouble is that they instantly spin the ends. And often, due to their elasticity, they don't want to go into the drawing. So cotton thread is the most suitable. And its microhairs are not visible on a baked wing. And a little more about the thread color. Black is the most suitable because it gives a clear and visible outline and pattern of the veins. But you can choose the color to your taste. Try, experiment!

Now lay out the internal pattern of the wing. You can unleash your imagination here.
Put both wings at the same time. The thread should be cut into a pair of pieces of the desired length. And if the picture is not very intricate, it can be made out of one piece of thread. When you start to put the thread with a brush you will realize that it is simple and is done pretty quickly. The order of creation of the internal pattern and the external contour is not important. You can first put the veins and then make the contour of the wing.

To decorate the wings you can use glass flat rhinestones, micro seed beads. All this is put on the wings before baking. Put a very small drop of gel in the place for a rhinestone. You can just glue them to the finished wing with superglue. You can't do that with micro seed beads. You can only bake them.

The pattern is laid out. The threads must be completely covered with gel. Check the symmetry of the pattern, correct everything and put in an oven! Bake at the temperature recommended by the manufacturer of the gel. The cooking time depends on the size of the wings. 5-7 minutes is usually enough, but if you have a wing with a size of a palm:), then bake it for 10 minutes.

The wings are baked. Some segments can be covered with pearlescent powder. Don't apply powder on a damp wing. It will not look nice. I do it as soon as I get the product out of the oven, while it's hot, rubbing the powder with a brush. If it seems that there is not enough mother-of-pearl or color, bake for another 2-3 min and again apply powder on a hot product.

Then you need to correct the thread pattern. When it is covered with powder, it becomes not so clear. Use a thin brush to carefully paint with usual acrylic or other waterproof paint the entire thread pattern. You can also paint the outer contour with water-repellant paint after the wing is cut out. You can draw in any color, including any metallic, but black looks more striking (in my opinion).

Now remove the wings from the glass and use thin scissors cut them close to the contour, be careful not to damage the thread. You're done! You will see that they are plastic and durable, do not crumple and do not tear. The wings keep their shape, do not droop on a product. If you want a more rigid or large wing, then use 2 layers of organza and a little more gel. By "large" I mean about the size of a palm. I don't know how a very big wing will behave. I've been experimenting only with wings for miniatures.
Of course you may not mess around with threads and just bake the fabric, cut the desired size and shape of the wing and paint it anything you want. But the threads serve as a kind of a frame. give a more interesting, dimensional outline.

On other background the pearl shade is better seen :)

Options of shapes, sizes and ways of wings decoration are countless. You can use them not only on products of polymer clay. Miniature dolls made of any material, fancy animals will love to wear these wings. They are sewn with a needle or glued. Try it! Create with pleasure!

And here are some photos with the designs of wings. Some segments of the fly are covered with mosaic gold, and the wasp is decorated with mother-of-pearl powder.

Thank you all for reading! I wish you success!

I will answer all questions.

Sincerely yours, Marina.