How to Make a 'Winged Zephyrous Pig' Pendant for a Christmas Tree

I want to show you how to make adorable winged pigs :) This tutorial will help you to make excellent souvenirs for New Year with minimal cost. Almost everyone can find all necessary materials at home, the only thing you will have to buy is a self-hardening clay :)

The materials needed:

• newspapers;
  • cheap toilet paper;
  • papier-mache mass (there are many recipes on the Internet. I just tear toilet paper in a pan with water (1/4 roll), bring to the boil, stirring with a fork. Then add a spoon of flour, some white glue and a spoon of vinegar. Drain the excess liquid. Grater 50-70 g. of self-hardening clay. Mix. Put the mass on a cloth by pieces and squeeze (photo 1). Then knead everything with hands into a homogeneous mass (photo 2). Put it in a double pack.)

• self-hardening mass (I have jovi);
  • flour paste (water + flour (starch) + white glue);
  • superglue;
  • thread;
  • foil;
  • cardboard;
  • paints, primer, lacquer, pastel;
  • scissors;
  • a stationery knife;
  • safety pins with a loop on the end.

1) Take a two-page opening of a newspaper (A2), smear it with flour paste (I smear with hands). Then crumple the newspaper into a ball.

2) Wrap a lump with rope.

3) Tear the newspaper into strips, smear with flour paste, glue the base. Then add an extra layer of toilet paper.

4) Take a clear pocket, break it into 2 parts (I leave the edge with holes bonded). Put the papier-mache mass between the two layers and roll it out.

5) Wrap the workpiece with the mass. Let it dry. I dry it in an oven on low heat. You can just put it on a radiator.

6) After drying make hemispheres of foil. Glue them on the blank with superglue, smear with the paste a little and wrap with the mass.

7) Form indentations for the eyes, let it dry.

8) Meanwhile, cut ears of cardboard, smear them with the flour paste, fold at the base. I use paper clips to fix the position.

9) Cut wings details of thicker cardboard. Glue.

10) Make a face.

• Smear a thin layer of self-hardening mass.
  • Add volume to the forehead.
  • Make a snout.
  • Mark the edge of a smile.
  • Add volume to the cheeks.
  • Sculpt the lower lip, form a smile.
  • Add nostrils and eyes.

11) With a utility knife cut the recesses for the ears, fill them with the papier-mache mass, put in the ears.

12) Mark the place for the wings on the back. Then make holes with an awl and expand them with scissors. Smear the holes with flour paste and insert the wings.

13) Roll 4 balls with a size of of peas for the legs. Mark the spaces for them on the body. Smear with the flour paste and sculpt the limbs.

14) For the tail mix papier-mache and self-hardening clay in ratio of 50/50 (so the tail will be less fragile and relatively simple in modeling).

15) Mark a place for the tail, make a hole, smear with flour paste and insert the tail. Form a curl.

16) Let it dry.

17) Proceed to painting.

• Cover the base with white primer.
  • Paint the main color (I have yellow and blue).
  • Apply pink paint to the snout, inside of the ears, the legs, the tail, the cheeks.
  • Take pastel or dilute paint slightly darker than the main shade and tone the area around the eyes, the legs, inside of the ears, the corners of the lips, the nostrils.
  • Paint the detail on the wings with purple paint.
  • Paint the rest of the wing and the eyes with white paint.
  • Paint the pupils, the eyebrows and the stripes on the hooves with bronze (brown) paint.
  • Mark the pupils with black paint.
  • Next, cover the wings with mother of pearl.
  • Covered the snout, the eyes and the hooves with high gloss lacquer.

18) Put a safety pin with a loop on the end into the pig's back.

The place you choose for it influences the way your pig will look like :)

19) Make a loop of fishing line or monofilament.

Our piggies are ready!!! Thank you for your attention :)