Cosy Driftwood by Nika's Tiny House: the Artist from Slovenia Recreates her Hometown of Driftwood

The artist Nika Domnik was born and lives in Piran, a town on the Adriatic coast. This amazing town with picturesque narrow streets and colorful houses is a miraculously preserved monument of medieval architecture, which survived wars, fires and floods. For centuries it has inspired many creative people, artists, and Nika is proud to be one of them. Each day she notices something new in her hometown and embodies the charm of Piran in her houses made of driftwood.

Nika started to make houses in 2015. She passed her final exams in the faculty of design, and she had a lot of free time before graduation. And one day, walking by the sea, the artist picked up a few pieces of driftwood and made houses of them. They seemed to her very nice, but it took a while to hone the skill — only two years later it became her main full time occupation.

Nika founded a small workshop, and Piran guests often visit it. The artist is ready to make works to order (she does that only from October to April due to lack of time in the tourist season), but her brand houses — copies of real houses — are held only for those who visit her hometown and buy a souvenir personally.

These houses are only available offline:)

I can not believe that such a miracle comes to life from these wedges:

Some details — in her works Nika uses textile pieces and even silver:

And here are the sea findings and the map of the countries where the houses of the artist have gone:

Nika also makes her signature calendar:

View on the street from above:

In summer Nika often holds master classes for children. I would be happy to visit them! Here are the works of her young students:

Several colorful streets created by Nika:

I am truly inspired by the kindness of Nika's works and her deep love to her hometown. Did you like these houses?