Handmade Pompom Rug/Stool Cover

Today I want to show you a DIY on making a rug/stool cover with a size of 40x40 cm.
Everyone has their own technique of weaving and knitting such rugs.

So, for making such a rug I needed:

• 2 skeins of wool (I used wool by "Caroline": 100% acrylic, 100 g/438 m);
  • a frame (my husband made it of thick bars with a length of 50 cm and long self-tapping screws, they are not bumped, unlike nails, I had a bad experience; the distance between the screws is 4 cm; count without the corner squares, which I painted directly on the frame).

When the yarn is purchased and the frame is made, proceed to the second stage of manufacturing.
Tie the end of thread to the screw, as shown in the photo.

And start winding the thread on the principle of snake, around 2 screws. This way we reach the bottom.

Next is the transition to the vertical weave.

And continue to weave on the same principle, weaving around 2 screws. Then again there is a transition to the horizontal weave and we come again to our starting point where we began to weave.

And continue to weave according to this principle until the end of the thread.
In this case, I have a solid rug, so I weave with 2 threads at once. If you plan to weave a rug of two colors, you need to weave each color alternately, of course, if you don't want multicolored pompoms. If you want a multicolored rug, then you can weave all colors simultaneously.
I would also like to note that it is not necessary to wind the thread to the end. You need to leave a bit of yarn for further forming of pompoms
You must finish weaving the screw, from which you initially started to weave.
This is what I got after weaving of 2 skeins of yarn:

Then go to the third, the most time-consuming step in weaving. First, I wrap all fingers with adhesive plaster in order to avoid the appearance of calluses on the fingers. I know that many do this stage using a curved needle, but it is not convenient for me and I do everything with my hands :)

After preparing the fingers I cut threads with a length of about 20 cm of the tonal yarn, which I prepared in advance. As I have 88 intersections on this frame I need the same amount of threads or even more, because sometimes the thread may break due to strong tension.
Start wrapping each intersection of horizontal and vertical rows. You need to wrap them tight with a double cross, that is, each intersection is a criss-cross. Strongly pull the intersection and tie a double knot.

This is the most time-consuming work. It takes me a little over an hour. Here is our rug after wrapping all the intersections.

Then the easiest and the most exciting for me stage begins. It is the formation of pompoms and the rug.
First, we cut all the excess threads from wrapping of intersections, but not under the knot, leaving a small tail.

After removing the extra "tails" begin the production of pompoms. If you make a rug of two colors, then you will cut only the top color and the bottom will remain untouched and will be the basis of rug. Since I have a solid rug, I cut pompoms by eye. It is important that there must be a small part of intact thread.

To make pompoms even cut in the middle of the yarn between each knot, without touching the yarn that goes to the screws. It will become lush tassels of the rug later.

And so we continue until we make the cuts between each tie, both in vertical and in horizontal rows.

The photo shows that the side pompoms are made of three sections.
Next, begin to cut our rug from the frame, thus we will make beautiful fluffy tails for our rug.

Tails which were cut in two triangle corners are also cut exactly in half, and then trim them to the length of the main tassels.
That's all.
Here is what a beauty I got.

I would like to note that after cutting the rug from the frame, it reduces in size by approximately 5 cm on each side.
By the same method it is possible to produce rugs of any size. I hope someone will like my DIY and find it useful!
Up to new meetings!