Caroline Broadhead — Transforming Space Around Body

Caroline Broadhead is an artist and a jeweler, a choreographer and a teacher. She moves easily in many disciplines including jewellery, textiles, furniture, and also takes part in theatrical productions. Caroline runs a course of jewelry design in Saint Martins in London and is a visiting lecturer in many national and international institutions.

Caroline started making jewelry in a ceramic studio at school, when she was fascinated by the opportunity to make something unusual to wear. She liked to create miniature things, exploring different ways of working with metal — enamelling, soldering. "It was like magic," remembers Caroline.

Later in college the metal interest gave way to experiments with other materials such as plastic and wood, textiles. In England Caroline became the pioneer in using many new materials and techniques, unusual for jewelry.

After graduating from college, Caroline continued to do what she liked the most — jewelry. "Jewelry is common to all cultures, so it represents something absolutely fundamental," says the artist.

Caroline's jewelry creativity was at that period of history when the author's jewelry art started evolving as an independent species in the system of plastic arts. When jewelry began to change significantly. In a great measure it became an expression of attitude of its creator and at the same time a part of self-presentation of the person who is wearing them and expresses themselves.

One of the most recognizable works of the artist is the "Veil" necklace (1982). It is made from threads of nylon and can be worn as a necklace, a headdress or an ethereal veil, transforming the space around the person.

In her works Caroline explores the interaction of jewelry with people. She is inspired by the contact of materials with skin, the modification of the forms of ornaments with body movements, the possibility of active use of space around body.

"I really like the proximity of jewelry to a person," says Caroline. But she considers the feature of her jewellery not an addition of a costume, but the creation of a special type of plastique, which has a direct physical contact with a person. "The main goal of my products is to give the viewer or the owner a certain experience or to begin the movement of thought. My jewelry is a way of exploring and expressing ideas."

Here is what Caroline Broadhead says about her likes in the world of contemporary jewellery: "I especially respond to a strong sense of purpose, a clear way to communicate ideas and an unusual way of processing materials. I also appreciate sense of humor and wit".

Caroline says to young artisans and her students the following: "Have fun, follow your instincts and ideas that interest you. Be open to possibilities and do not rush to give up if you can't make something at once."